- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
LIMONCELLO is one of the most famous Italian liqueurs in the universe. Three ingredients make up my Nonna’s #family recipe and the flavour explodes like a #citrus circus in your mouth.
- 9 Organic Lemons (This is a must)
- 1lt Grain Alcohol (You can use 100% pure vodka but it won’t taste the same)
- 1.5lt of water
- 700g of white sugar
- 1x Strainer
- 1x Pot
- 1x Big Jar with sealed tap
- Peel 9 organic lemons. Make sure you only peel the skin without getting the white part of the lemon.
- Place the lemon skins in a big jar and add grain (pure) alcohol. Seal the jar and let it infuse for approx 20 days.
- The lemons need to soak in this liquid for 20 days in order for the Limoncello to be bold yellow in colour and full of flavour.
- Bring 1.5 litres of water to a boil and add 700 grams of white sugar.
- When the water cools add the marinated yellow alcohol to the water using a strainer so the lemon skins don’t go into the limoncello.
- Put a glass of water into the jar, mix it around and add it to the mix. This will get the most flavour out of the lemon mix for the limoncello to be full of bold flavour.
- Now mix the limoncello really well for a couple of minutes.
- With 1.5lt of water and 1lt of grain alcohol you should be able to get almost 3lt of limoncello.
- Fill up empty glass bottles with the limoncello.
- Put one bottle of limoncello in the fridge and store the other ones in a dry cool place.
How to Serve it:
- Serve the Limoncello in small glasses. Some Italians enjoy to drink it in a cold glass. To do this, place the glass in the freezer for about 20minutes before you drink the limoncello.
E ora si beve…Vincenzo’s Plate