Spaghetti vongole is a simple dish PACKED with flavour. Bursting with all of the colours of Italy, this seafood pasta combines juicy cherry tomatoes, parsley and garlic with one of the most flavoursome shellfish in the Adriatic sea – Vongole. (Don’t underestimate the flavours of these tiny morsels!)
Watch Spaghetti Vongole video recipe:
- Linguine pasta 500g
- White wine
- 1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
- 500g vongole (Pipi’s)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes
- Pinch of rock salt
- Sprinkle of pepper
- Generous amount of fresh parsley
- 1 x large saucepan
- 1 x 5L large pot
- Sharp knife
- Wooden spoon
- Boil 5L of water in a large pot in preparation for your spaghetti vongole.
- Turn the stove on to a medium/high heat and add a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil.
- Once the oil has begun to warm, add the finely chopped garlic and simmer until it starts to change colour.
- Add the vongole into the pan and stir well. Then add a glass of white wine and let it simmer.
- Leave the vongole to simmer in the pan until they begin to open. If they don’t open in the middle, it normally means they are not good to eat.
- Next, add 8-10 cherry tomatoes diced in half – the juicier, the better! Stir through well.
- Squeeze half a lemon into the pan, and then add a pinch of rock salt and pepper, then mix.
- Add a generous amount of fresh parsley (chopped) and let it simmer so all the juices and flavours infuse the vongole shells.
- Once the water has boiled in the large pot, add the pasta linguine and leave it to cook based on the packet instructions (al dente is always best!).
- When the cherry tomatoes have softened and the liquids have started to evaporate, the dish is almost ready.
- Strain the pasta once it has cooked to your liking and add it to the pan (on a low heat).
- Mix the pasta well so that it soaks up the delicious liquids and flavours from your sauce.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: Be careful not to get burnt when adding in the wine as when it hits the oil in the pan, there might be a small burst of steam!
HOW TO SERVE:
- Once the pasta is full of colour and the ingredients have started to stick it’s ready to serve.
- Serve the pasta vongole onto a plate trying to keep it in the centre and make sure it is filled with all the colours of Italy along with some extra vongole on top.
- Make sure it’s served nice and hot and if you want a little added flavour, drizzle just a touch of extra virgin olive oil over the top
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!