How to cook Neapolitan Pizza in a Wood Fired Oven
True Neapolitan Pizza should be made in a wood fired oven! If you’re lucky enough to have access to one, follow this simple technique of bringing the Neapolitan pizza forward using a pizza peel and turning it, until it becomes golden and crispy. By doing this, you will not compromise the base and instead create pizza perfection! Check out this video for a closer look at how to cook Neapolitan Pizza.
Vincenzo’s Top Tip To Make Neapolitan Pizza in a Wood Fired Oven
Proper way to do with your pizza
Do not lift the pizza high up in the oven and let it capture heat there, bring it straight out when you need to turn it and then straight back in, avoiding any turning on the surface which will result in the bottom being full of ash.
Neapolitan Pizza in a Wood Fired Oven
- Wood fire oven
- Pizza peel
- Neapolitan pizza base topped with your favourite ingredients
- The first rule of cooking a Neapolitan Pizza is…YOU MUST COOK IT AT 400°C/752°F so first step? Heat up your wood fire oven to 400°C/752°F !
- To cook the Neapolitan pizza in a wood fire oven, first lift the pizza you have prepared using the three fingers from your pinkie to your middle finger and guiding it with your index.
- Slide the pizza onto the pizza peel which should be resting on the same surface as your pizza - and be close by!
- Slightly correct the shape of the pizza if you need to and place it in the oven, not too close to the flame, tilting the peel then quickly flicking out, dropping the pizza inside.
- While the pizza is cooking, you need to turn it a few times, but there is a method to this! Using the peel, pick up the pizza using one swift motion and bring it straight to the front where you should quickly turn it a few times, before placing it back inside.
- Repeat step 4 around 4 times, until the pizza is cooked through, then lift it one last time with the pizza peel, hold it for around 2 seconds, bring it out and serve.
- E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy!
How to serve Neapolitan Pizza in a Wood Fired Oven
For best results, add the fresh ingredients like buffalo mozzarella on top of the cooked pappardelle pasta while it is still hot, allowing the cheese to melt slightly and the flavors to blend together. Finish it off with a drizzle of high-quality extra virgin olive oil for an extra burst of flavor. Be sure to serve and enjoy immediately while the pasta is still hot and delicious.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate