How to stretch Neapolitan Pizza Dough
Stretching Neapolitan Pizza Dough is all in the forearm – and the practice! To achieve the best style pizza you have to master the creation of the cornicione, and to do this, I asked pizza master Johnny Di Francesco to provide simple steps to getting the base of your Neapolitan just right.
How to STRETCH NEAPOLITAN PIZZA DOUGH like a World Best Pizza Chef
Vincenzo’s Top Tip To Make Neapolitan Pizza Dough
Practice and practice
The more you use this technique of flipping from your forearm and repeating the motion, the faster you will get and the more a memory will build in your muscle, making this easier and more of a natural movement as you get used to it.
How to Stretch Neapolitan Pizza Dough
- Your hands!
- Neapolitan pizza dough balls
- To stretch authentic Neapolitan pizza dough, once 24hr have passed your dough balls should have risen and are ready to use so sprinkle flour on to the bench and place one ball on top.
- Starting an inch from the bottom and working your way an inch from the top, gently press down using the tips of your fingers.
- Then stop, turn it over and repeat. Do this once more and you will be left with a small round base with a crust around the rim, also known as a “cornicione”.
- To stretch the pizza base, place one hand on the inside of the crust and with your other hand, have the three end fingers underneath and the index and thumb on top.
- Placing your thumb on top (aligned with your pinky underneath) and your index finger on top as well (aligned with the finger next to it) gently stretch the dough out and bring it up and over the top of your opposite forearm, holding it there.
- When you’re ready, flip it back over and let it hit the bench, then try to repeat this motion of stretching, flipping and then flicking it back over again but (trying to get) faster until your dough has reached a suitable size.
- Your pizza dough base should now be stretched to a reasonable size but still with the air pockets in the crust.
- It’s time to add the toppings and finish off your Neapolitan pizza.
- E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy!
How to serve Neapolitan Pizza Dough
This classic Neapolitan pizza is best served and eaten hot. Watch my authentic Neapolitan pizza dough recipe to learn the best way to top and cook your pizza and you will never want a different style pizza again!
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate