EGG FRIED RICE RECIPE
Egg fried rice is a traditional Chinese dish that can be served as a main or side but either way, it’s likely a staple when you order local Chinese take-away. I created this recipe after a challenge from Uncle Roger who claims to make the perfect Fried Rice! Although I’m no expert, I was determined to keep it authentic – how did I do? Stay tuned until the end for an Italian spin on the traditional dish I actually don’t recommend trying! Keep it authentic, keep it real – what do you think Uncle Roger?
Watch the EGG FRIED RICE Video Recipe:
How to Make EGG FRIED RICE Approved by Uncle Roger
Jasmine rice /Long grain rice variety
Chicken stock (Liquid)
3 garlic cloves
1 fresh red chilli
Sambal (or alternative chilli paste)
4 spring onions
1 rice cooker (or pot for boiling rice)
3 mixing bowls
- Egg fried rice is prepared using day-old rice so prepare yours in a rice cooker or in a pot then leave to cool in the fridge. This will reduce the starch content and make it much drier.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: Before cooking the rice, put your desired amount into a large bowl and wash it thoroughly with water. Move the rice around using your hand to make sure it has all been coated really well. The water should turn white. Strain well and move on to cook.
- To cook the rice, add the required amount of chicken stock where you would normally add water – amount will depend on how much you make/how many people you are serving.
- If using a rice cooker, cover the rice with chicken stock then put the lid on and turn to cook. Once ready, transfer to a container and seal tightly before leaving it in the fridge.
- Dice the whole shallot then finely slice the garlic and chop the chilli.
- Next, remove the end part of the spring onion and finely chop these up too.
- Crack two eggs into a mixing bowl then another two egg yolks along with them – these add so much flavour and texture so your egg fried rice.
- Whisk the eggs well then add 2 teaspoons of sambal paste – or more if you want a bigger chilli kick – and whisk this through too.
- Get a large wok and put it on the stove at a medium heat and add a generous drizzle of vegetable oil. Lift the wok every so often and turn it using your wrist so that the oil starts to cost the sides too.
- Once the wok starts to release a gentle smoke, it is ready to create your egg fried rice!
- Pour the oil into a separate bowl before adding fresh oil – approx. 2 tablespoons – wo the wok along with the shallots and garlic.
- Let these sauté for no more than 2 minutes and make sure you stir and mix them around so they don’t burn and cook well.
- Next, add the egg to the wok and quickly mix this through, breaking it up using a stainless steel spatula – you have to be fast or else it will scramble and burn!
- Once it is cooked but still moist, add the rice (6 handfuls or your desired amount), fresh chilli, shallots and mix/toss through really well.
- Sprinkle some black pepper on top of the rice before adding soy sauce, sesame oil and mix well.
- Add 2 heaped tablespoons of MSG and mix through once again.
- Once everything has combined really well turn the stove off and serve!
HOW TO SERVE:
Scoop up as much egg fried rice as you like and enjoy as a side or main dish.
OPTIONAL: Add some cooked prawns to this dish for a more filling option – you can also add othe meats and vegetables, but Uncle Roger may not approve!
E ora si mangia Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy!
You should also try the Italian Risotto I made with love:
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate