HOW TO MAKE ARROSTICINI LIKE A BUTCHER
This recipe was created with advice from Gabriele Pompa, a third-generation master butcher from Abruzzo who has preserved the tradition of preparing the most flavorful arrosticini for a truly authentic Italian experience. Believe me when I say that he knows what he’s doing – preparing over 700 thousand arrosticini each year!
Vincenzo’s Plate Tips
Choose Sheep – NOT Lamb!
Check the Fat Content
Use a Cubo Box
Work by Hand
Always Grill It
How to Serve Arrosticini
Arrosticini from Abruzzo
- 1 Butcher knife
- 1 Chopping-board
- 1 Cubo box
- Bamboo skewers
- 1 Filet knife
- 1 Fornacella or another grill
- Sheep Meat cuts from various parts of the body with 1/3 fat intact
- Salt as much as required
To Prepare the Meat
- Choose quality cuts of various parts of the sheep, including shoulder, neck, belly, thigh etc.
- Take care to work with your hands and cut out any nerves or leathery parts. If a butcher is preparing your meat, choose a butcher who works by hand.
- Cut in the direction of the meat to create slices at least 1.5 cm thick.
- Save pieces of fat for extra flavour.
To Prepare the Arrosticini (With Cubo)
- Place the thickest cuts of your sheep into the bottom of the Cubo as a base.
- Layer a row of fatty meat on top of the base then conntinue filling the Cubo, row by row, alternating between lean meat, fat, muscle, etc.
- Use your lean meat for the final row then place the lid of the Cubo on top, pressing down firmly.
- Place the Cubo and meat into a cooler/fridge until it reaches 34.7°F/1.5°C.
To Prepare the Arrosticini (By Hand)
- Place a thick cut of sheep onto a bamboo skewer, then create layers of various cuts of meat, alternating between fatty and lean.
- Place the leanest meat on the final row.
To Cook the Arrosticini
- Remove the chilled meat from your refrigerator or cooler and insert bamboo skewers into each hole of the Cubo lid.
- Use a filet knife to cut squares around each skewer, using the grooves of the Cubo as a guide.
- Turn the Cubo sideways and gently pull to remove the arrosticini.
- Line each arrosticini up on top of your fornacella or grill and cook over the coals.
- Sprinkle a very small amount of salt on the arrosticini and rotate them after about 2-3 minutes. Total cooking time is 5 minutes (add a few more minutes for arrosticini prepared by hand).
- Do not overcook. You don’t want to lose the flavour and burn them!
- No need to add any herbs or spices, as the sheep packs an incredible flavour!
- Bite into the skewer from the side to enjoy the amazing flavour combination.
- E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate....Enjoy!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate… Enjoy!
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate