GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
Grilled Cheese Sandwich is the answer to how an Italian enjoys a Grilled Cheese sandwich! Try out this twist on a family favourite and spoil your tastebuds with mozzarella oozing on top of Prosciutto di Parma, grilled sweet potatoes, grilled zucchini and asiago cheese between two fried slices of bread. Naughty BUT ohhhh sooo goooood! Go on, allow yourself the guilty pleasure!
Watch video recipe:
4 x slices of Organic Sliced Bread
Bowl of plain flour (Use a bowl you would serve soup or pasta in so it is nice and wide)
2 slices of Prosciutto di Parma
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Salt & Pepper
Buffalo Mozzarella or Fior di Latte
Vegetable oil for frying
1 x pan for frying
1 x medium size mixing bowl
1. Cut the mozzarella and asiago cheese into slices (almost 1cm each in width).
2. Quickly grill a few thin slices of sweet potatoes and zucchini.
3. Crack 3 eggs into a bowl and whisk them together well.
4. Add milk along with salt and pepper to the eggs and mix once again.
5. Cut the crusts off the bread, being careful not to slice too much of the white part off along with it!
6. Pour some oil into a fry pan and turn the stove up to a medium high heat.
7. Layer 2 slices of mozzarella on top of a slice of bread.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: The amount of mozzarella you use, it really dependent on how large your slice of bread is. Be careful not to make it too thick or it will fall apart when frying.
8. Layer 2 thin slices of Prosciutto di Parma inside your Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwich, add a slice of grilled sweet potato, 2 slices of grilled zucchini, 3 slices of asiago cheese then place a plain piece of slice bread on top. Press down to make sure it is closed nice and tightly.
9. Pass the edges of the bread gently through the bowl of flour, moving your grilled cheese sandwich around until all edges have been dusted well.
10. Then, dip it into the egg and milk mixture until all of the outside is covered and lift it up so that the excess liquid drips off and back into the bowl.
11. Once the oil in the pan has reached around 150degrees Celsius, you can drop the grilled cheese sandwich inside and let it fry for around 2-3 minutes or until it begins to turn lightly golden.
12. Lift it out of the oil using a utensil that will help to drain out any excess oil.
13. Have a plate prepared on the side that is layered with kitchen paper, so any more excess oil can absorb into it.
14. Repeat this step with as many as you like and try to serve warm so the cheese is still melted and can be enjoyed.
HOW TO SERVE
1. Slice each Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwich in half through the middle or even into small triangles and enjoy as a starter before your meal.
2. You can also place smaller pieces on a wooden chopping board for great antipasto presentation and this will also be a little lighter for guests.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
I’ve come together with one of my favorite Celebrity Chefs on YouTube, Beth of Entertaining with Beth, to bring you an amazing dessert option to serve for Valentine’s Day. Chocolate Hazelnut Tart (clich here to get the recipe)
Join my Culinary Tour “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe