Salmon pasta is my version of a simple pasta dish where one ingredient is the hero and everything else compliments the flavour exquisitely! A mix of lemon juice, capers, chilli, mascarpone and lemon zest combine to create a little taste of summer, on your plate. DISCLAIMER: Can be enjoyed all year ‘round even when you’re just pretending it’s Summer!
300g/10.5oz penne rigate
2-3 tblsp mascarpone cheese
1 garlic clove
1 tblsp capers (in sea salt)
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO
Fresh organic lemon
½ – 1 tsp dried or fresh chilli
1 large fry pan
1 large pot (to cook the pasta)
Hand sieve or colander
- Salmon pasta starts with the key ingredient: Salmon! Remove the skin (or buy skinless) and slice into medium sized cubes.
- Pour 5L water into a large pot and put it on the stove at a medium heat – this is for your pasta.
- Put the pan on your stove at a medium heat and add 3 tablespoons (or a drizzle) of EVOO.
- Crush the garlic clove (or thinly slice) and add it to the pan and leave to cook on a medium-low heat for approx. 20 seconds.
- Add the salmon to your pan and gently turn it every so often so all sides cook well.
- While the salmon is cooking, add the chilli, capers and a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: The salmon will cook quite quickly and cooking time might vary depending on how hot your pan is.
- Mix the salmon pasta ingredients together gently and allow to cook through, usually between 5-7 minutes.
- While the salmon is cooking, add the rock salt to your pot of boiling water before putting the pasta in too.
- At this point, cut the lemon in half and squeeze in as much fresh juice as you can from one half (add more if you love the citrus flavour!).
- Mix these ingredients in the pan so that the flavours can combine.
- The salmon should be cooked by this point, so break down approx ½ of the salmon pieces (using a fork) in your pan so that they are “pulled” or “shredded”. Try to pick the pieces that have already started to break down or don’t look as good.
- Add a generous amount of lemon zest to your salmon pasta sauce before finally adding more freshly squeezed lemon then mix well.
- Once the pasta is ready, collect up to ½ mug full of pasta water and add it to your pan. Mix and allow to gently simmer.
- Now strain the pasta and add it to the pan.
- Put the stove on a slightly lower heat and add 3 heaped tablespoons of mascarpone cheese. Stir this until it melts into the pan and mix it through.
- Add another generous amount of parsley to your salmon pasta and if you can, toss the pan to create the creamiest salmon pasta possible!
HOW TO SERVE:
HOT! Salmon pasta can be portioned onto flat plates or into bowls and toped with the chunkier pieces you didn’t break down. Garnish with some fresh parsley and enjoy.
You can also enjoy the pasta chilled as a fresh pasta salad.
E ora si mangia Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy
These are 2 of my favourite Salmon recipes:
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate