- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
CHOCOLATE RICOTTA CAKE
Italian Chocolate Ricotta Cake Recipe is one of the most MOIST cakes you will ever eat! Chocolate and ricotta are like the perfect couple, and when you cook them together, the taste is divine. This is a great cake to eat with afternoon tea, bring to a picnic or dip into milk.
Watch video recipe:
One of my favourite ways to eat ricotta? In a cake!
300 g Plain Flour
4 large eggs
300g fresh ricotta
16g powder yeast for cakes
300g chopped dark chocolate
150g white sugar
Small amount of butter
Chocolate topping (for icecream)
½ a glass of milk.
A small amount of Frangelico or Amaretto
NOTE – If you do not wish to use alcohol, you can replace it with milk as this will help to make it moist.
1 x medium cake baking tin – better if it is non-stick.
1 x fork
1 x wooden spoon
1 x large Sieve (for the flour)
1 x small sieve (for the icing sugar)
1. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
2. Using the piece of butter, rub it all over the bottom and sides of your baking pan, lining it so your cake doesn’t stick. (You can use baking paper at this point if you like, but I prefer my Nonna’s method).
3. Pour a small amount of flour into the centre of the baking tin.
4. Lift the tin up and lean it slightly on its side while tapping the side of it so that the flour starts to stick to the butter and also lines the tin.
5. Continue, by turning the tin slightly and hitting it on the other side.
6. Do this until the flour has spread over most of the tin.
7. Break four eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat them well. (You can use a hand mixer if it is easier).
8. Add the ricotta to the eggs, and squash it down as much as you can using a fork, while mixing it in with the eggs.
9. Add the flour to your mix (You can sift this in to help break it down a little more).
10. Now add the sugar, and mix well using a wooden spoon breaking down the ingredients as much as you can.
11. Add yeast to the mixture and continue to mix well.
12. Now, time to add the dark chocolate and fold it into the mixture as well.
13. After mixing this for a few minutes, add the Frangelico (or amaretto or milk), mixing this in as well,
14. Now add half a glass of milk and mix through one last time.
15. Pour your mixture into the cake tin, spreading it out and making it as even as you can.
16. Place the cake in the oven for around 35 minutes.
17. After 30 minutes, use a knife to test if the cake is cooked through the centre, If it comes out clean, it is ready, if not, it needs at least another ten minutes or wait until the top is nice and brown.
18. Once the chocolate ricotta cake is ready, remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
HOW TO SERVE:
1. Sift some icing sugar over the top using a small sieve.
2. Decorate a flat serving plate with chocolate topping.
3. Slice a nice size piece of chocolate ricotta cake and place it on top of the chocolate, in the centre of a plate.
Eat this yummy chocolate ricotta cake dipped in milk and it will melt in your mouth! You can also have it as a dessert or a snack or spoil a friend on their birthday!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!