- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
CHERRY TOMATO PASTA
Cherry tomato pasta is a simple dish for any day of the week which calls for the freshest, juiciest organic cherry tomatoes you can find. Once you add aromatic basil to create the perfect pairing plus a scoop full of mascarpone cheese it will be even creamier than you had imagined – without the cream of course! Try this twist on neapolitan cherry tomato pasta and don’t go past the extra dash of pecorino cheese which really makes the flavours sing on a plate!
Organic cherry tomatoes
Garlic (1 clove per person)
Bunch fresh basil
250g mascarpone cheese
Extra virgin olive oil
Handful (or a little more) pecorino cheese
Short dry pasta (Casarecce, penne etc)
1 tablespoon rock salt
Spatula or wooden spoon
Medium fry pan
Large pot (for boiling pasta)
- Cherry tomato pasta is delicious with almost any dry pasta shape. Pick your favourite then boil 5L water in a large pot before prepping the sauce.
- Remove cherry tomatoes from the vine and cut each one in half.
- Put the pan on your stove at a medium heat and drizzle 4-5 tablespoons EVOO before adding the cherry tomatoes and leaving them to simmer.
- Crush the garlic for your cherry tomato pasta and add to the pan.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: Add a splash of water to your pan so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Mix the garlic through using a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Your pasta water should now have come to the boil, add a tablespoon of rock salt, mix through and add your pasta. This should be cooked according to packet instructions – follow the al dente timing for a more authentic texture.
- The tomatoes should now have started to release some of their juices. Gently press down on them so that even more juice is released and the sauce really infuses with the garlic.
- Once the tomato skin is nice and wrinkled and a beautiful sauce has formed, add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Season to your liking.
- Get a mug and scoop up some pasta water, pouring half of it into your sauce. Stir it into the sauce then add more as you need it – especially if you have made extra for more than 2 people.
- Next add a generous amount of fresh basil leaves to your cherry tomato pasta sauce, breaking them with your hands or leaving them whole. Mix again!
- Once the pasta has boiled, strain it and add it to your pan, then mix it all through and scoop up another cup full of pasta water leaving it to the side.
- Stir the pasta through the sauce and once it is mixed well, add mascarpone cheese and let it melt into the cherry tomato pasta, helping it along by adding some pasta water as you go.
- Follow this with a generous handful of pecorino cheese and mix well until you get a creamy consistency – if it’s not quite there, add a small amount of pasta water at a time and continue to mix.
HOW TO SERVE:
Once your cherry tomato pasta is ready, serve it onto individual plates, making a nest at the top. Add lots of extra sauce to each portion then place a fresh basil leaf (or a few) on top.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
Here are some other recipes of mine where I love to use Cherry Tomatoes:
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate