HOW TO MAKE SPANISH OMELETTE
Tortilla de Patatas is a traditional delicacy celebrated as a national dish by the Spaniards. Moreover, it is an essential part of Spanish cuisine. The signature egg dish serves warm or at room temperature, and both are equally delicious. Additionally, the three key ingredients are potatoes, onion and eggs; while the only thing left for discussion is how crispy you like your potatoes to be! In addition, this Spanish potato omelette is part of my international recipe collection and is made proudly by my good friend Juan, a Spanish native. YUM.
Vincenzo’s Top Tips
Slice it with the right thickness
This part is very important! If your potatoes are too thin, they will overcook and if they are too thick, they will undercook
Keep moving the mixture
This is to ensure the edges of your Spanish omelette are not stuck to the side of the pan
Cook it for around 10 minutes. However, this may take a while but it’s the right amount to cook your omelette well
- Deep non-stick fry pan Medium sized
- Mixing bowl Medium sized
- Sharp knife
- 3 Potatoes medium sized p
- 5 Eggs
- 1 Onion
- Extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- To make the Spanish omelette, peel the three potatoes and then cut them in half, then into even quarters.
- Slice the potatoes so that they are approx. 1cm thick. If they are too thin, they will over cook and if they are too thick, they will undercook, so this part is very important!
- Put a medium size deep fry pan on the stove at a low heat. Add a generous serve of extra virgin olive oil and leave to warm up.
- Once the oil is nice and warm, add the slice potatoes in and leave to simmer for up to 5 minutes.
- Peel the onion and slice it into thin strips then add these to the pan also.
- Leave the potato and onion to cook through until they start to soften.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk 5 eggs really well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and carefully move the mixture around using a spatula so that the egg gets through.
- Keep moving the mixture for the Spanish omelette around sightly and ensure the edges are not stuck to the side of the pan by slightly sliding the spatula down and around he whole tortilla.
- Leave it to cook for around 10 minutes.
- Get a large, flat dish and lay it down over the top of the fry pan. Holding the fry pan in one hand and placing your hand flat on top of the bottom of the dish, flip the pan so the Spanish omelette falls on to the dish and the pan is empty.
- Transfer the raw side if the Spanish omelette onto the pan and leave to cook for another 10 or so minutes (depending on your preference).
- E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’sPlate….Enjoy!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate… Enjoy!
How to serve Spanish Omelette
Put the whole Spanish omelette onto a plain flat dish and then slice a piece in the shape of a triangle and serve. This is a great dish for tapas (or an aperitivo!) or you can serve it as a main course. Some even enjoy it for breakfast!
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate