Watch the Risotto Carbonara video recipe:
How To Make RISOTTO CARBONARA Like an Italian
Vincenzo’s Plate Tips
Don’t Skip the Guanciale
Keep the Rice Wet
Add Guanciale Oil to the Carbonara Sauce
Combine without Heat
Get Every Last Bit
Serving Risotto Carbonara
- 1 Chopping-board
- 1 Meat knife
- 1 Frying pan
- 1 Wood spoon for pan frying
- 2 Bowls
- 2 Forks for whisking
- 150 g Guanciale 5,29oz. or pancetta, speck, cubed bacon
- 300 g Carnaroli rice 11oz. or Arborio rice
- 1 liter Vegetable stock 34oz. or chicken stock.
- ½ glass White wine
- 4 tbsp Pecorino cheese
- ½ Onion
- 50 grams Butter 1,76oz.
- 3 eggs
- Salt and pepper as much as required
- Extra virgin olive oil as much as required
To Prepare and Cook the Guanciale
- First remove the skin.
- Cut the guanciale vertically into thin strips, so there are alternating layers of meat and fat.
- Repeat the process, resulting in small, thin strips of guanciale.
- Then cook it over low heat, without anyadded oil, for 5-7 minutes until crispy.
- Save the oil produced by the fat for later.
To Caramelize the Onions
- Pour 3-4 tbsp of the extra virgin olive oil into the pan.
- So sauté onions over medium-high heat until they are caramelized.
To Prepare the Risotto Rice
- Add the rice to the onion mixture. Stir and mix well for 2 minutes making sure not to let the rice burn.
- Then add wine into the rice. It will give the perfect amount of acidity.
- Follow the cooking time on your rice packet’s instructions from the moment the wine is added.
- Keep watching the rice and add hot or very warm stock when it begins to dry up.
- When time is almost up, add a generous amount of pepper, Pecorino cheese and butter.
To Make the Carbonara Sauce
- First beat 2 egg yolks and 1 entire egg using a fork.
- Generously crack pepper into the eggs and mix through.
- Slowly add the Pecorino Romano as you whisk the carbonara mixture.
- Then add Pecorino Romano until the sauce turns into a creamy mixture.
- Next add the oil from the guanciale into the carbonara sauce to give it extra flavor.
To Combine the Carbonara Sauce With the Risotto
- Add just a little bit of salt, but not too much because we have the salty Pecorino Romano cheese.
- then add 50g of butter. It makes the risotto creamy and combines all the ingredients.
- The leftover starchy stock will be essential for combining the sauce with the rice.
- Next Remove pan from heat and mix and combine well.
- Add more Pecorino Romano, stir it in and your Risotto Carbonara is ready.
How to Serve Risotto Carbonara
- Scoop the risotto onto a plate and tap the bottom of the plate to spread the rice. Sprinkle generously with pepper and top with guanciale and Pecorino cheese.
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate