WINE COOKIES (Taralli al Vino)
How do you like your wine? How about in a cookie? Introducing: WINE COOKIES! Also known as
Taralli in Italy, they are bite-sized morsels of deliciousness! The recipe which uses red wine, has origins in the centre of Italy, and now has many variations which can be made sweet or savoury! In this sweet version, my mum teaches us her simple recipe with just four ingredients and barely any measuring needed. These are quick to make, look great, and once they crumble in your mouth see if anyone can resist more!
1 x cup red wine
½ cup sugar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
5 cups flour
Plate full of white sugar
Large mixing bowl
Cup/Glass to measure (just make sure you use the same tool all the way through)
- Wine cookies have a very important ingredient….wine! Let’s start by pouring a glass of red wine into a large mixing bowl.
- Next add ½ glass sugar to the bowl and mix together well before pouring in the extra virgin olive oil and stirring it through.
- The next step to making delicious wine cookies is adding in the flour. Add this one cup at a time, and mix really well as you go. You will notice that the mixture gets creamier, and eventually, it all comes together to make the wine cookies dough.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: This part of the recipe is important, so take your time adding the flour, making sure to bind all the ingredients until they form into a ball of dough.
- Once the dough has formed, it should be soft but not too sticky. Remove it from the bowl and place it on to a large chopping board and gently knead it by pressing it gently and rolling forward and back then folding it over a few times. (You may wish to wear gloves as the red wine can stain your hands!)
- Prepare a large baking tray by lining it with baking paper and pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees celcius/ 356 degrees farenheit.
- Cut a small piece of the wine cookies dough and begin to roll it out, using one hand first, and then both hands.
- Once you have rolled it into a long piece, approx. 1cm thick, cut a short strip, then roll this around your index finger forming a ring-like shape so that the two ends slightly overlap.
- Create as many wine cookies as you possibly can with the dough you have, then pick each one up and press one side gently into the plate filled with white sugar, transferring each one (sugar-side up) onto your baking tray.
- Once the tray is full, place it filled with wine cookies into the oven to cook for between 20-25 minutes.
HOW TO SERVE
Leave the wine cookies to cool in the tray for 10-15 minutes as they’ll continue to harden – and the crunchiness is one of the best parts! Serve for a light snack alongside dessert or when friends drop by for coffee. They can also be enjoyed after dinner with an Italian digestive.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate