This Steamed Clams (Vongole) recipe is bursting with flavours thanks to a colourful mix of cherry tomatoes, fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon – it really makes cooking seafood, simple. Join me in one of my favourite secret spots of Sydney and I’ll take all of your senses for a ride in just a few short minutes while home delivering this basic lesson in cooking clams.
Watch video recipe:
Steamed Clams Recipe | How to Cook Clams
- 1 kilo of clams (or Vongole, washed)
- ½ lemon
- 10 ripe cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- A bunch of fresh parsley (chopped)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- ½ glass white wine
- Extra virgin Olive oil (EVOO)
- Fresh bread (2 slices per serve)
- Medium size fry pan with lid
- Wooden spoon
- Mini saucepans to serve (optional)
- To cook Steamed Clams, put the pan on the stove at a low heat and add a generous amount of EVOO.
- Once heated, add chopped garlic and cherry tomatoes to the pan and then mix together using a wooden spoon.
- Add the clams, parsley and ½ glass of white wine before stirring well.
- Shortly after, the wine will begin to evaporate and the clams will begin to open.
- A few minutes later, squeeze some fresh lemon over the top and stir once again. Put the lid on top and leave it to heat up so that all the clam shells open. Once they do, remove the lid and add some salt and pepper.
- Cover it for an additional 2-3 minutes or until all of the shells have opened.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: If you like the strong flavour of garlic in your seafood dishes, chop up the parsley a little larger than normal and the flavour will infuse in the clams. If you prefer it a little less garlicy, throw a couple of small cloves in the mix with the skin still on and remove them before serving.
HOW TO SERVE:
- Serve the steamed clams in mini saucepans for added presentation, with crusty bread on the side..and ALWAYS remember to add some extra broth to each serving. You won’t be able to resist soaking the bread in it while you scoop up the clams.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
If you love Clams you should definitely make this Spaghetti Vongole Pasta Recipe
Join my Culinary Tour “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before. The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. Visit this Italian Tour link for more details.