How to Make Sea and Mountains Pasta
Sea and mountains pasta, also known as Pasta Mare e Monti, brings together the best of two worlds together in one delicious dish. The mushrooms from the mountains pair perfectly with vongole (clams) and king prawns from the ocean. This dish is truly an Italian delight with a delicate white wine sauce and calamarata pasta that fortifies the dish with extra volume!
Watch the Sea and Mountains video recipe:
How To Make SEA AND MOUNTAINS PASTA Like an Italian
Vincenzo’s Top Tips To Make Sea and Mountains Pasta
Few minutes longer
Continue to cook your clams with for additional more minutes because this will make the perfect sauce for the sea and mountains pasta.
Careful NOT to get burned
In carefully removing the meat from inside each clam , the shells are VERY hot, so be careful not to get burned!
Al dente as always!
Cook pasta and cook according to the package but best is always al dente!
Sea and Mountains Pasta
- 2 Large sauté pans or Skillets
- Garlic press
- Large stockpot
- 2 Spatulas
- Pasta strainer
- Wine glass
- Large Serving bowl
- 10 Large king prawns
- 250 grams Mushrooms 9oz. mix of porcini and other mushrooms
- 500 grams Vongole clams 18oz
- 250 grams Halved cherry tomatoes 9oz
- A Handful of chopped parsley
- 2 cloves Garlic 1 broken in half, 1 whole
- Extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- 1 Standard glass of white wine any white wine will do
- Calamarata Pasta you can also use penne, linguine, or anything you like!
- Salt and pepper
- Place 4 tbsp EVOO in a large sauté pan or skillet along then add garlic halves and clams (vongole) over medium-high heat.
- Add in a sprinkle of parsley and ½ of the white wine. Gently toss the pan to mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the clams cook until they are open. This should take about 5-10 min.
- While clams cook, get a new pan, place it on the stove at a medium-high heat and add 4 tbsp EVOO and one crushed garlic clove.
- Cook the crushed garlic for approx 20 seconds. Then add in mushrooms and a generous sprinkle of parsley.
- Cook mushrooms for 10 minutes and toss them occasionally.
- Take the lid off the pan once the clams have opened and sprinkle some more parsley along with the rest of the white wine.
- Continue to cook clams with the lid off for 5 more minutes - This will make the perfect sauce for the sea and mountains pasta.
- Next, take a spoon and carefully remove the meat from inside each clam, discarding the shells. The shells are very hot, so be careful not to get burned!
- Remove the garlic halves from the pan with the clams. Then set the pan aside to rest.
- Return to the mushroom pan after 10 minutes have passed. Add the halved cherry tomatoes and a sprinkle of parsley.
- Season mushrooms and tomatoes with a pinch of salt then pepper and stir.
- Cook this mixture for 5 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- While tomatoes and mushrooms cook, bring a large pot full of water to a boil and add 1 tbsp rock salt to it.
- Add the pasta and cook according to the package.
- While the pasta boils, gently push down on the cherry tomatoes with a spatula to help them release their juices.
- After 5 minutes of cooking tomatoes, add king prawns to the pan and stir. At this point you can even replace the prawns with calamari or any other seafood you desire.
- Dip a mug into the pasta water and add half of the mug into the pan with the mushroom, tomato, and prawn pan. Stir everything together to combine the flavors.
- After 3-4 minutes, the prawns will be fully cooked.
- While they are simmering gently, drain the pasta and add it to the pan which was set aside with the clams. Place the pan back on the stove and toss to incorporate the flavors.
- Combine the pasta and clam mixture with the prawn and mushrooms then stir.
- Add in the other half of the mug of pasta water, sprinkle a little bit of parsley and toss to combine
- E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy!
How to serve Sea and Mountains Pasta
Finally, it is time to serve your sea and mountains pasta! The best way to serve this dish is family-style – put it in a big bowl right in the middle of the table. Make sure to add all the sauce from the bottom of the pan to each serving! Sprinkle some parsley on top to finish and enjoy!
The vongole and porcini mushrooms will stick inside the calamarata pasta and play perfectly with the clams. This is a delicate and authentic dish everyone will enjoy. Let me know what seafood you add to yours!
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate
No comments yet.