- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
SPAGHETTI FRITTATA CARBONARA
What do you get when you mix spaghetti carbonara and frittata? A SLICE OF HEAVEN. This spaghetti frittata will make you love carbonara even more – because now you can enjoy the flavours one slice at a time. Mixing spaghetti carbonara and spaghetti frittata will give you a slight crunch when browned just enough, along with a creamy inside, from our surprise ingredient…burrata. Stop drooling and make use of those extra eggs you have in the fridge. Spaghetti frittata di carbonara can be enjoyed hot or cold making it a great dish for any season.
300g/10.5oz pasta (choose from: spaghetti, bucatini or linguine. My recipe uses: Fileja Calabrese)
6 farm fresh/organic eggs
200g/7oz chopped guanciale (Pig Jowl OR Pancetta)
200-300g/7 – 10.5oz pecorino cheese
1 large burrata
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 medium sized bowl
Large pot for boiling pasta
Medium size fry pan
- Start making spaghetti frittata by boiling 5L water on the stove in a large pot.
- Once the water comes to a boil, add a few pinches of rock salt and allow it to dissolve.
- Next, cook your choice of pasta for the desired cooking time, strain it, then add it to a mixing bowl to cool slightly.
- Drizzle some EVOO over your pasta and mix through gently using a set of tongs.
- While the pasta for your spaghetti frittata is cooling, get a medium size fry pan, put in on the stove at a medium to low heat and add 3 tablespoons of EVOO.
- When the oil has started to warm up, add the guanciale and leave to simmer and brown – this will be the perfect texture for your spaghetti frittata di carbonara! This should cook in 5-7 minutes.
- It’s time to get the oven ready! Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius/356F.
- Next, grab a mixing bowl and add 6 eggs, pepper and pecorino cheese. Combine these ingredients really well before adding the cooked guanciale and mixing this through too.
- Now, add the pasta into the egg mixture and combine using a set of tongs. Make sure the egg is smothering every strand of pasta and the guanciale is spread right through.
- Place the pan you cooked the guanciale in, back on the stove at a medium heat and add half of the spaghetti frittata mixture to it.
- Break up the creamy burrata into pieces and add them to the centre, before covering them with the other half of the pasta
- Place this in the oven, leaving the temperature at 180 degrees celcius/356F and leave to cook for 30 minutes.
- After this time, remove the pan of spaghetti frittata from the oven, and place a large flat plate over the top. You must use this, to flip it onto the other side, and then place it back in the pan and back in the oven for another 3-5 minutes.
- Once it is ready, flip it again so the golden brown side is on top.
HOW TO SERVE:
Remove the spaghetti frittata carbonara from the pan and leave on a large, round, flat plate to serve. Cut into pizza shaped slices for a larger serving or into squares for an antipasto dish.
The beauty of this dish is that it can be enjoyed hot or cold!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
- You can create Spaghetti Carbonara with just the egg yolk (some chefs only use yolks). If you only use the yolks, you can use the egg white to make these delicious Amaretti cookies. The recipe is from my mother in law Nonna.
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate
View this post on Instagram
BUON NATALE – MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR from our #Family to yours. What an spectacular year #2019 has been! We have had some of the best experiences to-date with Vincenzo's Plate and grown as individuals and as a business. We are so, SO grateful for every single #experience we have had from new, incredibly supportive clients allowing us to do what we do best – create memorable #Italian experiences highlighting the very best of the culture and allowing individuals globally to be immersed in everything ITALIAN. At this time of year, it is a great time to reflect on what we have achieved and also to give thanks to every single one of YOU that has supported us, believed in us, eaten our food, or come along for the digital ride and engaged in some way with #VincenzosPlate We are not only appreciative, but we feel very fortunate. Each and every one of you give us the strength to keep doing what we do, to keep striving and keep inspiring others to hold on to their #traditions and cultures – particularly through food, no matter where they are in the world! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We wish you and your family a memorable #festive season…can't wait for what's next in 2020, but for now…a short break to reset! #merrychristmas #merrychristmas? #merrychristmas2019 #happynewyear2020 #happynewyear #buonnatale #buonnatale? #buonnataleatutti