Pasta with Breadcrumbs Recipe
Pasta with Breadcrumbs – or pasta ca muddica is the answer when you have stale bread and don’t want it to go to waste! This Sicilian dish was created because every leftover ingredient always gets used in Italian cooking – and especially in Nonna’s kitchen. Many classic recipes were invented this way! Try pasta ca muddica, which is my golden crispy alternative to topping your pasta with cheese… you may have just found a new mid-week favourite.
INGREDIENTS for 2 people
1-3 loaf stale bread/2-3 day old
1 clove garlic
3 tablespoons Pecorino Romano
Small handful fresh parsley (chopped)
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Medium fry pan
- Pasta ca muddica needs stale bread – chop yours up into chunks then add it to a blender until it forms breadcrumbs.
- Before starting on your breadcrumb mixture, boil 5L water in a large pot and once it comes to the boil, add a tablespoon of rock salt.
- Now, place the pan onto your stove at a medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of EVOO before adding a crushed garlic clove.
- Cook the garlic for no more than 30 seconds then add the breadcrumbs, stirring them with a wooden spoon and letting them toast until they become nice and crunchy.
- At the point where the bread is almost completely crisp, add the chilli (optional) before combining the parsley.
- Keep stirring the mixture allowing the bread to become really crunchy and turn golden brown – this is the key to pasta with breadcrumbs so take your time and get it as crispy as you can.
- Once you are happy with the texture, remove the pan from the stove and empty the mixture into a bowl, leaving it to the side.
- Now it’s time to make your spaghetti! Cook for the amount of time noted on your packet instructions.
- When the pasta is almost ready, collect a mug full of pasta water and leave this for later.
- Strain your pasta, then put the pan (you used earlier – don’t wash it!) on the stove at a low heat and add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to it.
- Mix the pasta into the pan then pour half a mug of pasta water over the top and mix well using a set of tongs.
- Add a sprinkle of parsley, then stir again until the water is absorbed and switch of the pan.
- At this point, add 3 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese and toss the pan well.
HOW TO SERVE: Add a serving of the pasta to a flat plate then sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top – be generous so every single bite has the right amount of CRUNCH! You can now officially call the dish: Pasta ca muddica.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
Here are 2 other Sicilian recipes you Must try:
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate