How to Make Pasta with Breadcrumbs
Pasta with Breadcrumbs – or pasta ca muddica is the answer when you have stale bread and don’t want it to go to waste! This Sicilian dish was created because every leftover ingredient always gets used in Italian cooking – and especially in Nonna’s kitchen. Many classic recipes were invented this way! Try pasta ca muddica, which is my golden crispy alternative to topping your pasta with cheese… you may have just found a new mid-week favourite.
Watch How to Make Pasta with Breadcrumbs video recipe:
How to Make Pasta with Breadcrumbs Like an Italian
Vincenzo’s Top Tips To Make Pasta with Breadcrumbs
Cook the garlic then add the breadcrumbs, stirring them and letting them toast until they become nice and crunchy!
Crunchy and Golden
The key to pasta with breadcrumbs is to keep stirring the mixture allowing the bread to become really crunchy and turn golden brown – so take your time and get it as crispy as you can!
Top it off!!
Top it off with lots of Pecorino Romano cheese and toss the pan well.
Pasta with Breadcrumbs
- large pot
- Medium fry pan
- Garlic crusher
- 300 grams Spaghetti
- 1-3 Loaf stale bread 2-3 day old
- 1 clove Garlic
- 3 tbsp Pecorino Romano
- Fresh parsley Small handful and chopped
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- Pasta ca muddica needs stale bread – chop yours up into chunks then add it to a blender until it forms breadcrumbs.
- Before starting on your breadcrumb mixture, boil 5L water in a large pot and once it comes to a boil, add a tablespoon of rock salt.
- Now, place the pan onto your stove at a medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of EVOO before adding a crushed garlic clove.
- Cook the garlic for no more than 30 seconds then add the breadcrumbs, stirring them with a wooden spoon and letting them toast until they become nice and crunchy.
- At the point where the bread is almost completely crisp, add the chilli (optional) before combining the parsley.
- Keep stirring the mixture allowing the bread to become really crunchy and turn golden brown – this is the key to pasta with breadcrumbs so take your time and get it as crispy as you can.
- Once you are happy with the texture, remove the pan from the stove and empty the mixture into a bowl, leaving it to the side.
- Now it’s time to make your spaghetti! Cook for the amount of time noted on your packet instructions.
- When the pasta is almost ready, collect a mug full of pasta water and leave this for later.
- Strain your pasta, then put the pan (you used earlier – don’t wash it!) on the stove at a low heat and add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to it.
- Mix the pasta into the pan then pour half a mug of pasta water over the top and mix well using a set of tongs.
- Add a sprinkle of parsley, then stir again until the water is absorbed and switch of the pan.
- At this point, add 3 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese and toss the pan well.
- E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy!
How to serve Pasta with Breadcrumbs
Add a serving of the pasta to a flat plate then sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top – be generous so every single bite has the right amount of CRUNCH! You can now officially call the dish: Pasta ca muddica.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate
No comments yet.