OSSO BUCO RECIPE
Tender, juicy pieces of osso buco meat served with beans in a rich, mouthwatering Italian tomato sauce.
OSSO BUCO WITH BEANS
400g Osso Buco (diced)
1 x can mixed beans
1 x can butter beans
Sliced mushrooms (100g)
¼ onion (finely chopped)
1 x bottle finely chopped tomatoes
1 x chopped carrot
12 chopped black olives
A pinch of dried mixed herbs
A small bunch of fresh parsley
A small bunch of fresh basil
Fresh parmesan (Parmiggiano Reggiano or Grana Padano)
Extra virgin olive oil
400ml of vegetable stock
1 x medium deep saucepan
1. Put a saucepan on low heat and add 4 generous table spoons of extra virgin olive oil
2. Add the finely chopped onion and carrot to the saucepan
3. Add the Osso Buco and stir altogether
4. Once the meat is browned on both sides, but not yet cooked through, add the mushrooms and stir once again
5. Once the meat has cooked for 3-4 minutes, add the vegetable stock and stir through. Increase the heat of the stove and leave to simmer for another 2 minutes so the meat and mushrooms can get familiar!
6. Now, add the tomatoes and stir once again
7. The kitchen should be starting to smell incredible!
8. Time now for the seasoning. Add: a pinch of salt, a sprinkle of mixed herbs, a handful of chopped parsley and a handful of chopped basil.
9. Finally, add both cans of beans and black olives to your mixture
10. Make sure the stove remains on a medium heat and let this cook for at least 25 minutes. You should leave the lid on and every 5-6 minutes check and stir the ingredients
11. After 25 minutes has passed, remove the lid from your saucepan and grate some fresh parmesan cheese over the top.
12. Check that your sauce is not too runny and not too dense. You can now switch off the stove.
HOW TO SERVE
1. Transfer a portion of your mix to a plate and add a small pinch of pepper
2. Of course, if you wish to, you can add some more parmesan – I know I would!
3. For a final hit of flavour, you might also want to add a few fresh pieces of parsley on top – and this will make your dish smell and taste even more vibrant
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!