How to Make Mozzarella in Carrozza
MOVE OVER GRILLED CHEESE! The mozzarella in carrozza is a Southern Italian version (and yes probably the original), born in Naples. It is crispy on the outside with a delicious, melty, stringy mozzarella inside. Irresistible is an absolute understatement for the cheesiest, savoury treat you can imagine. Plus it can be made in no time and with just a few key ingredients. Artisan bread, an egg/flour coating, and high-quality mozzarella cheese are the secret to making this Neapolitan street food that will satisfy all of your senses. Hungry yet?
Watch the Mozzarella in Carrozza Video Recipe:
How to Make Fried Mozzarella Sandwich Like an Italian
Vincenzo’s Top Tips To Make Mozzarella in Carrozza
DON’T slice too much
Don’t slice the mozzarella too much thicker, or it won’t melt!
Use one egg per sandwich; add more if you’re making more!
Choose your crust!
You can remove the crust if you like, but I prefer it more rustic and crunchier, so mine stays on!
Press it down
Press down enough to seal the cheese, so it doesn’t melt out while cooking.
Mozzarella in Carrozza
- Large knife
- Cutting board
- 2 Large bowls one for flour + one for eggs
- Egg whisk
- Baking Paper
- Large plate
- Large pan
- 2 Slotted spoons
- Plate lined with paper towels
- Extra paper towels
- for 3 sandwiches:
- Fior di latte Mozzarella
- 3 Eggs
- 2 cups Flour 6 oz
- 6 slices Pane di Casa/Sourdough Bread with crust
- Salt & Pepper
- Sunflower Oil
- Mozzarella in carozza can only get cheesy one way – using fresh, quality mozzarella! Start by slicing your high-quality fresh mozzarella about ½” / 1cm thick.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl, and season them with a pinch of salt and a generous amount of pepper before mixing them with a whisk.
- Pour your flour into a wide bowl or flat plate and place each slice of artisan bread flat inside, pressing down on it so it’s covered.
- Make sure to do this on both sides and shake off any excess. Place on a plate lined with baking paper.
- Dip the floured bread into the beaten egg mixture on one side only for the mozzarella in carrozza, then rest it on the baking paper with the wet side up.
- Time to dip the mozzarella cheese in the egg! Dip both sides, then place it on one slice of bread. Use half slices of cheese so that the whole piece of bread is covered.
- Put the second slice on top, then press down with your hands – be firm and make sure the ends of the sandwich are pressed down together. Repeat for all sandwiches.
- Dip the entire mozzarella in carrozza in the egg mixture, covering all sides (even the crust!) to seal in the cheese. This is a really important step, so make sure you cover every inch! Repeat for each one.
- Place these on a plate lined with baking paper in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to set.
- Here’s the best part – frying the sandwiches! Just before the resting time is up, heat up a generous amount of sunflower oil in a fry pan until you reach 179°C/399°F – the perfect temperature for these cheeky, cheesy savory treats.
- Add one in at a time and cook until golden brown and crispy. Use a slotted spoon to gently keep covering the top of the sandwich with oil while it’s in the pan, then turn it over and repeat until the result is golden and crispy.
- Add each finished mozzarella in carrozza to a plate lined with paper towels and use any extra to blot excess oil off the top.
- E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy!
How to serve Mozzarella in Carrozza
Time to enjoy this masterpiece! Serving the mozzarella in carrozza is easy; add them to a plate and enjoy every crunchy bite – preferably while its still hot. The challenging part is whether it will make it to the plate…and how long it will last!
These sandwiches are filling, comforting, and provide the perfect meal to share with family and friends. Plus, they cook quickly so that you can whip them up in no time.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate
No comments yet.