ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND POTATOES
Italian sausage and potatoes – a dish I grew up enjoying with my family which uses just 2 simple ingredients! This puts all the emphasis on enhancing their flavours with delicate seasoning and cooking them just right – the essence of Italian cooking. My Nonna taught me a small trick to get the potatoes nice and crispy so I have revealed her technique in this recipe and when eaten alongside a quality pork and fennel sausage, they are the perfect match. Try this for your next Sunday lunch and serve it with my no knead bread #carboncarb.
Royal Blue or Desiree Potatoes
Italian pork & fennel sausages
Dried mixed Italian herbs
2 garlic cloves
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Cast iron pot/pan OR Medium sized non-stick casserole dish
Tongs to serve
- Italian sausage and potatoes require the perfect potatoes for roasting! Choose yours then wash and peel them.
- Cut them into pieces – not too large – trying to make them as even as possible so that they cook evenly and stay crunchy.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: If you cut them too small, they will become soft and if they are too large they will not become crispy or cook through.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C/356°F then place a large cast iron or casserole dish on your stove at a medium heat and drizzle 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil on top.
- Italian sausages and potatoes can be cooked in the same pot but the potatoes take a little longer to cook, so start with those!
- Add the potatoes to the dish and sauté them gently, stirring them so they do not stick and allowing them to slightly brown for up to 10 minutes.
- Next, add 2 garlic cloves to the pan and sprinkle dried herbs on top before adding salt, 3 tablespoons of EVOO and fresh rosemary – be generous!
- Stir this all through and put your potatoes in the oven for approx. 20 minutes or until they become golden brown.
- While cooking, the potatoes need to be moved around quite a few times to ensure they don’t stick to the bottom and also so they cook throughout.
- After 20 minutes, remove the pot from your oven and add the sausages in between/on top of your potatoes, before placing the Italian sausages and potatoes back in the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Once you remove the pot from the oven, remove the garlic (or leave it and eat it!) and any large rosemary stems and your Italian sausage and potatoes are ready to be served.
HOW TO SERVE:
Scoop up a generous amount of potatoes and place them on the bottom of a flat plate, then put your desired number of sausages on top depending on your appetite. Add a sprig of rosemary as a garnish and serve your Italian sausages and potatoes just like that!
You can also add a side salad or some hearty fresh Italian bread to the side…I know I would!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate