HOW TO ROAST CHESTNUTS
Roasted chestnuts are a delicious nutty snack which are just perfect for the holiday season. The slightly crisp outer layer combined with a moist centre are such a fine textural treat but the question is, how do we roast them without the skin sticking to them? Check out this recipe for my tip on how to roast chestnuts and easily peel them too!
1 x medium size bowl
- Roasted chestnuts are not hard to make but require a few simple steps to get them to perfection and the first is…buy good quality chestnuts!
- Next, using a sharp (preferably serrated) knife, make a slit down the middle of each one (not too deep) and place them into your bowl.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: Be sure to make this small cut in every single one or else it will pop in the oven (and make a real mess!)
- Cover the chestnuts with water, leaving them in the bowl for up to 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, pre-heat your oven to 180°C/356°F and prepare a baking tray (large enough to fit your chestnuts) lining it with baking paper.
- Once the chestnuts have been soaking for 20 minutes, strain the water from the bowl and gently pat them dry using a kitchen towel.
- Next place the chestnuts on the tray with the slit facing up.
- It’s now time to put the tray in the oven and leave the chestnuts to roast for 30 minutes or until the skins open and inside is tender.
- Remove the pan from the oven and leave to cool slightly.
HOW TO SERVE:
Peel the chestnuts and eat them just as they are! You can also add them to salads and desserts.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate