How to Make Basic Italian Tomato Sauce
Experience the authentic taste of Italian cuisine with a classic homemade Italian Tomato Sauce, made just like how my family does it. With only two essential ingredients – good quality passata and fresh basil – this sauce is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Additionally, the secret to creating the perfect Sauce is in the quality of the ingredients. Opt for a passata made from ripe and juicy Italian tomatoes, and add in fresh basil to impart an aromatic and herbaceous flavor. As the sauce simmers on the stove, the fragrant scent of basil and tomato will fill your kitchen, tempting you to sneak a taste before it’s ready.
Making Basic Sauce is simple, yet yields rich and flavorful results. Lastly, enjoy the taste of Italy in the comfort of your own home with this easy-to-follow recipe.
Watch Basic tomato sauce video recipe:
Vincenzo’s Top Tips To Make Basic Italian Tomato Sauce
Keep your extra in the freezer
It’s always good to make a little extra and if you have any left over, you can keep this in the freezer until you wish to use it again, remembering you can add other vegetables and ingredients later as this is just a basic sauce.
Basic Italian Tomato Sauce
- Medium saucepan
- Sharp knife
- ¼ Onion Chopped finely
- 2 Carrots Peeled and cut in half
- 2 Branches of celery
- Fresh Italian basil A generous portion
- Fresh Italian parsley A generous portion
- 2 bottles Italian passata for tomato sauce
- A handful of dry mixed herbs
- 2 pinches Rock salt
- 1 glass Water
- Get a medium size saucepan and put it onto the stove at a medium heat, adding 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and the finely chopped onions.
- Stir regularly until they brown (normally this takes a couple of minutes). Chop the parsely and basil (you can also break the basil with your hands to save some of the flavour).
- Now add the passata and stir it in with the onions.remembering you can add other vegetables and ingredients later as this is just a basic sauce.
- It’s now time to help strengthen the flavour of your sauce by adding fresh herbs and vegetables.
- Add parsley and basil, then the carrots.
- Now, get your two branches of celery and break off the heads. Then break the celery in half using your hands if you like, and put them into your tomato sauce as well.
- It is important that you add the celery so don’t leave it out. The flavour it adds to your pasta sauce cannot be replaced!
- Add 2 ½ pinches of rock salt for added flavour, and stir.
- My secret ingredient is now the dried mixed herbs. Add 2 pinches to the sauce and continue to stir. The smell will be mouth-watering!
- Lastly, add a glass of water to the tomato sauce and stir it once again.
- The sauce needs to simmer on a medium high heat for around 40 minutes with the lid on. Remember to check on and stir the sauce every 5-8 minutes so the tomato does not stick to the bottom.
- Once it is ready, remove it from your stove and add it to your favourite pasta or dish!
- E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy!
How to serve Basic Tomato Sauce
This is a versatile condiment that can be served in a variety of ways. It can be used as a base for pasta dishes, as a topping for pizza, or as a dipping sauce for bread or vegetables. Simply heat it up in a pan or in the microwave and pour it over your desired dish.
You can also add some fresh basil or grated Parmesan cheese on top for extra flavor. Enjoy!
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate