How to Make Gnocchi Pesto and Sausages
Gnocchi are a delicious and hearty pasta that make for a perfect dinner any night of the week. Additionally, my creamy pesto gnocchi with Italian sausage recipe takes this classic dish to the next level with its rich and decadent flavor.
Moreover, the fluffy potato dumplings are coated in a creamy pesto sauce that’s bursting with fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese. To add some extra heartiness, I like to throw in some savory Italian sausage that complements the dish perfectly.
Lastly, the result is a dish that will literally melt in your mouth with every bite. Whether you’re looking to impress your dinner guests or just want a comforting meal for yourself, this creamy pesto gnocchi with Italian sausage recipe is the perfect choice.
Vincenzo’s Top Tips To Make Gnocchi Creamy Pesto
Cook the gnocchi properly
Make sure to cook the gnocchi according to the package instructions or until they float to the surface of the boiling water. Overcooking them can make them mushy, and undercooking can make them chewy.
Use good quality Italian sausage
The quality of the Italian sausage you use can make a big difference in the overall flavor of the dish. Look for high-quality, flavorful sausage to enhance the taste.
Don’t overdo the cream
While cream can add richness to the dish, overdoing it can make the sauce heavy and dull the flavor of the pesto. Use a light hand when adding cream and taste as you go.
Gnocchi Pesto and Sausages
- Large deep pot
- wooden spoon
- 1 kg Fresh gnocchi homemade or a good quality brand from your independent grocer
- 1 Thick Italian sausage
- 1 jar Basil pesto
- 300 grams Sliced mushrooms
- 300 ml Cooking cream
- Pinch Mixed dried herbs
- Fresh Basil
- Table salt
- Rock salt
- Extra virgin Olive Oil EVOO
- 5 L Water
- Add approx. 5litres of water to your pot and put it on the stove at a medium-high temperature.
- Remove the skin from the sausage and break the mince into small pieces, turning them around with your fingers to make small balls.
- Place the saucepan on the stove at a medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the sausage and mushrooms to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add a pinch of dried herbs and a tablespoon of table salt.
- Pour the pesto over the top and stir it through.
- Leave a small amount of pesto in the jar, add some water, put the lid back on it, and shake it around. This will remove the excess pesto from the sides and you can then add it to the mixture.
- Cook and stir this for a few minutes until the pesto begins to thicken.
- Add cooking cream and stir well once again. Leave this to cook on a low heat until the pasta is ready.
- Once the water has boiled, add two pinches of rock salt and stir it through.
- Drop the gnocchi into the water and while they are cooking, chop up the fresh basil.
- When they start to rise, they are ready. No need to stir at this point, they will come up on their own!
- Using a sieve, gather up the gnocchi as they rise and drop them into the sauce, getting rid of the excess water as you go.
- Stir the sauce through gently, smothering the pasta with the mouth-watering sauce.
- E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy!
How to serve Gnocchi Pesto and Sausages
To finish off the dish, serve a portion of the pasta onto a flat white plate and grate some fresh parmesan cheese over the top, being generous with the amount. Then, sprinkle some fresh basil over the creamy pesto gnocchi with Italian sausage.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate