How to Make Gluten Free Pizza Dough
Gluten-free pizza dough is an alternate version of your classic pastry by following this recipe. You might just be surprised by how golden and crispy your base turns out! Furthermore, many people cannot enjoy the true texture of a pizza because gluten-free versions never seem to have the same crunch. Until now! With an incredible gluten-free flour product, brought to you by Le 5 Stagioni. Additionally, you can now create a scrumptious base that closely resembles a traditional pizza!
Master baker Marco Matino features in this video recipe with Vincenzo’s Plate. Lastly, he has a strong affinity with the Neapolitan style pizza so if you can trust anyone to create a gluten-free pizza dough that resembles a classic, it’s him!
Vincenzo’s Top Tips To Make Gluten Free Pizza Dough
A pleasant texture
The consistency might be a little bit softer than you expect but this is a good sign! It will mean you can create a dough with a pleasant texture and it definitely won’t be rubbery!
Don’t be afraid to add extra moisture to the dough if it is too dry
Gluten-free flours tend to absorb more moisture than regular wheat flour, so you may need to adjust the recipe accordingly.
Gluten Free Pizza Dough
- Large mixing bowl
- Table or Bench space
- Round metal pizza tray
- Icing spatula
- 1 kg Le 5 Stagioni Gluten Free Flour 4.2cups
- 1.1 L Water 4.6 cups
- 30 grams Fresh yeast 1.05oz
- 8 grams Salt 2 teaspoons
- 2 tbsp Olive oil + extra for greasing tray
- Gluten free pizza dough uses 10% more water than the flour being used. Start by pouring approx. 1L water into a large mixing bowl.
- Next break up the fresh yeast with your hands directly into the water, rubbing it together almost so it drops into the bowl and dissolves easily.
- Add 1kg Le 5 Stagioni Gluten Free flour along with your salt, and start to combine using your hands, squeezing down and turning the bowl as you scrape down the sides and combine any excess too.
- The gluten free pizza dough will start to combine quite fast and you will notice it is a little sticky.
- When it has come together and there is little flour left, add the olive oil along with the rest of your water and mix this through too.
- Keep squeezing down using your hand, turning the bowl with the other and lifting the dough to help it combine and form a large mass.
- To prevent the dough from sticking to your tray, brush olive oil over the top and wipe off any excess using a paper towel.
- Next, pull a piece of dough from the larger ball and squeeze it into a ball-like shape, before dropping it into the middle of the pizza tray.
- Use an icing spatula to evenly spread the gluten free pizza dough to the same size and shape of your pizza tray.
- If you have the option to do so, leave it to rise for 2 hours in a steam chamber. Otherwise, stretch out a large piece of plastic wrap, spray canola or extra virgin olive oil evenly over the top and cover the pizza so no air can get inside.
- Leave to rise in a warm temperature for anywhere between 1-3hr, or until it doubles in size.
- Once the gluten free pizza dough base has risen, put it in the oven at 220°C/448°F to pre-cook it for approx. 7 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven, and if using a pizza stone/woodfitre oven, flip the pizza base to the other side, otherwise continue using the same side.
- Cover your gluten free pizza with desired toppings.
- If you’re cooking it in a woodfire oven, the temperature should be at 400°C/752°F. It will only need a minute to cook, so make sure you turn it and check the bottom of the pizza during this time.
- OR If you’re cooking the gluten free pizza in the oven at home, put your oven to the highest temperature and it will need to cook for 7-10 minutes. All ovens vary so keep an eye on it!
- E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy!
How to serve Gluten-free pizza base
With this recipe, you can enjoy a delicious pizza without worrying about gluten intolerance. Once it’s done, savour the crispy crust and top it with fresh cheese for an extra burst of flavour. Share with friends or enjoy it all to yourself!
Experiment with different toppings, from classic Margherita to BBQ chicken, to create your perfect dish. And the best part? You can enjoy this pizza without worrying about any gluten-related sensitivities or allergies.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate