Classic Pizza Margherita
Authentic Pizza Margherita is the absolute QUEEN of pizza’s – delicate yet rich and flavourful; the original recipe uses Neapolitan base and is topped with 4 quality ingredients. This episode of my Pizza Masterclass will teach you the how to make a classic pizza margherita thanks to Lucio who was raised in the birthplace of this masterpiece, Naples, Italy – who started making pizza’s almost before he could talk!
Thanks to Le 5 Stagioni, Lucio created (and devoured) a classic pizza margherita, known well for the colours it is adorned with, the same as those on the Italian flag…watch this video and recreate the authentic version of the most popular pizza ever created.
How to Make PIZZA MARGHERITA the Authentic Pizza from Naples
1kg/4.25 cups Le 5 Stagioni Pizza Napoletana Flour
600ml/ 2.5 cups water (room temperature)
2g/0.03oz fresh yeast
30g/2 tablespoons sea salt
1 x tin (400gr – 14oz) San Marzano Tomatoes
Handful pecorino romano cheese
100g/3.53oz Fior di latte Mozzarella
Extra virgin olive oil
Large mixing bowl
Table or bench space
OPTIONAL: Gloves! This can be made using gloves as the dough can be quite sticky!
STEP ONE: HOW TO MAKE THE PIZZA NAPOLETANA DOUGH FOR CLASSIC PIZZA MARGHERITA
- Classic Margherita Pizza starts with an authentic Napoletana pizza base.
- Pour 600ml water into your mixing bowl and dissolve the sea salt by mixing it in with your hands.
- Add 100g/3.53oz of flour to the water and mix using your hands.
- Once the flour has dissolved, add the fresh yeast, breaking it down into the water again, until it disappears!
- At this stage, add the flour gradually, mixing as you go and once your dough is thicker and starts to form, transfer it on to your bench (don’t forget to line the bench with flour first!)
- Rub the excess sticky dough from your hands, letting it drop into the mix and knead it through the dough.
- To knead, press forward and fold back, repeating this process and working the dough until you get a soft and elastic consistency.
- Once you are happy with the dough, cover it and leave it to rest for 18hr at room temperature.
- After this time, create pizza balls that weigh 270g/9.05o. Put them into a tray then cover them too and leave to prove for another 4-6hr.
STEP TWO: STRETCHING THE CLASSIC PIZZA MARGHERITA BASE
- Spread some flour over the top of your board.
- Get one of the balls out from the tray using a small amount flour on the sides to prevent it from sticking – to your hands and the tray – and place it on the bench.
- This dough is very elastic so will stretch easily. Start to create the round base by working your fingertips from the bottom all the way up, making sure to leave a 1cm rim all around the edges.
- Turn the pizza upside down and repeat the process. This pushes all the air to the bottom and into the crust.
- Repeat this – gently – twice on each side, then lift the base, flip it into one hand and onto the bench, helping it to stretch further and form a circle.
STEP THREE: MAKING THE CLASSIC PIZZA MARGHERITA
- To make an authentic pizza margherita, you need to use QUALITY ingredients for your toppings!
- Start by pouring a tin of san Marzano peeled tomatoes into a bowl. These can be crushed down using your hands or a hand blender – making sure to create a thick consistency, so don’t overwork them!
- Add a pinch of salt, and mix basil leaves through, either whole or ripping pieces with your hands.
- Pour some of the San Marzano tomato sauce over the base and spread it around using the base of the spoon.
- Cut the Fior di latte mozzarella into pieces and spread a generous amount over the top of your delicious san Marzano sauce – the perfect combination for a classic pizza margherita!
- Sprinkle Pecorino Romano over the top and add a few basil leaves before a final drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
STEP FOUR: HOW TO COOK THE CLASSIC PIZZA MARGHERITA
- Using a woodfire oven at a temperature of 450ׄ°C/842°F, the pizza should be cooked for a maximum of 90 seconds.
- It must be turned 180° half way through – and be sure to check the bottom in between to ensure it does not burn.
HOW TO SERVE:
Nice and hot! Be sure to serve up hot and cheesy slices of this classic pizza margherita right away and teach everyone how to pik up and devour a slice…
The best way to enjoy a slice is by folding the pizza inward – from one side into the middle, and then the other. This prevents it from flopping and keeps all the divine toppings on top of the base….then take a big bite from the front!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
Here are 2 other amazing Pizza recipes shared by 2 Pizza Masters:
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate