ALMOND CROISSANT RECIPE
Almond croissants are crescents of absolute heaven. These flaky morsels are filled with the most luscious almond cream and you cannot go past their nutty flavor or golden exterior. What is the secret to getting them beautiful and crisp on the outside while moist and fluffy on the inside? All is revealed in this episode of my baking series, cooking once again alongside master baker Anthony Silvio. Watch this recipe to learn how to create the most divine tasting almond croissant and easily recreate the pastry in your very own kitchen.
How to Make ALMOND CROISSANT Recipe like a Baker
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SYRUP:
1 x orange
1 x lemon
250g/8.8oz room temp water
250g/8.8oz white sugar
1 x shot Amaretto di Saronno
INGREDIENTS FOR THE ALMOND CREAM:
250g/8.8oz caster sugar
250g/8.8oz almond meal
150g/3.5oz plain flour
4 whole organic eggs
Dollop vanilla bean paste
2 day old croissant (trust me!)
Stand Mixer OR Hand mixer
2 x Tablespoon
Piping bag (or use a zip lock bag)
Hand held saucepan
Serrated bread knife
HOW TO MAKE THE ALMOND CROISSANT SYRUP:
- Almond croissants are soaked in sweet syrup so we start with this! Pour the water and sugar into the hand held saucepan and add a piece of lemon and orange peel (just cut a piece using a sharp knife).
- Boil this for 3-4 minutes then turn off and allow to cool before adding the shot of Amaretto (Di Saronno) and stirring through.
- Leave for 1hr until fully cooled (or put in the fridge to speed process up!)
- Once cooled, pour into a large bowl.
HOW TO MAKE THE ALMOND CREAM:
- Cream together butter with sugar and a dollop of vanilla bean paste using a stand mixer at medium speed.
- Mix through one egg at a time, beating the ingredients as you add each egg.
- Next add the almond meal and flour before beating slowly on low speed until it is all incorporated.
ANTHONY’S TIP: Hold the piping bag in one hand and roll it down half way over your fist, creating a well in the middle. Then add the almond cream using a spatula by pushing up against your thumb.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE CROISSANT
- Prepare a tray with baking paper on top.
- Cut the croissant on an angle using a serrated bread knife, from the outside and ¾ through – don’t cut all the way to the end!
- Gently open the croissant and lay flat.
- Using both of your hands, hold the croissant open with the inside part facing down and soak in the bowl of syrup for 1 sec.
- Hold the croissant above the bowl, let it drip and then close it gently and let it drip for a further 20 seconds on each side or until it stops dripping.
- Place the almond croissant onto the tray (open) and repeat steps 2-6 with each croissant.
- Fill each croissant with almond cream using the piping bag covering the entire base.
- Close the almond croissant and pipe one straight line of almond cream over the top (down the middle) before dunking it into a plate of flaked almonds.
- Repeat steps 7-8 for your desired number of croissants.
- Place the tray of almond croissants in the oven at 180°C/356°F for 25 minutes or until almond flakes turn nutty/golden brown.
HOW TO SERVE: The finishing touch on every almond croissant is icing sugar! Dust this over the top and serve warm with a delicious coffee.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
If you love Baking you should check out the amazing recipes I have on my website. Here are some of my favorite pastry recipes:
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate