How to Make Roasted Chicken with Potatoes
Roasted chicken: it sounds simple because it is! But there are a few tricks to getting this Sunday lunch of roasted chicken. Top it up with oven crunchy potatoes absolutely perfect. So I asked my Nonna Igea to share her secrets so that you can taste the real flavours.
I grew up enjoying her house with my family. Crispy skin oven-baked chicken with golden potatoes will absolutely warm your heart. Watch my recipe with Nonna now, make them ASAP, then share photos with me later as I would love to see you eating this with your whole family.
Nonna Igea’s Top Tip To Make Roasted Chicken with Potatoes
Cover it all up with oil
Hold up one side of the tray and move it around gently to make sure the oil has spread all over the bottom of the chicken too.
Start with a quality chicken
Choose a chicken that is fresh, preferably organic or free-range.
Make sure to generously season the chicken inside and out with salt, pepper, and any other herbs and spices you prefer.
Stuff the chicken cavity with aromatics like garlic, lemon, and herbs to infuse flavor into the meat.
Roasted Chicken with Potatoes
- 2 Large bowls
- 1 Large oven-safe trays
- Sharp knife
- whole Whole organic chicken or pick your favourite pieces and buy them already cut up
- 2 tbsp Salt
- Rosemary stalks
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 glass White wine
- 6 Large potatoes
- To make roasted chicken, cut the whole chicken into smaller pieces, put it into a bowl and rinse it with water, draining the water out completely.
- Next, add a few sprinkles of salt and rub it into the chicken, using your hands.
- Now it’s time to transfer the chicken to your oven safe tray by placing each piece next to each other. You can keep the pieces nice and tight as they will shrink as they cook.
- Add a few stalks of fresh rosemary along with 4 garlic cloves. Leave the skin on the cloves and just make a small slit in each one using a sharp knife.
- Pour the glass of wine over the top of the tray, and add a generous amount of good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Before putting the tray in the oven, it’s time to braise the chicken on the stove. Put the stove on a medium heat and place the try on top. After 5-6 minutes, turn each piece around using a pair of tongs and braise it on the other side too.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/350F, and place the tray inside (once the chicken has slightly browned) for up to 1hr.
- Next, peel the potatoes, and cut them into your preferred size, placing them into water once cut. Then, rinse the potatoes once again and put them into a clean bowl.
- Sprinkle a few pinches of fine salt over the potatoes and rub it over them really well, mixing it through using your hands.
- Transfer the potatoes into an oven safe baking tray and spread them out, before adding a few short rosemary stalks and garlic cloves with the skin still on (again making a small slit with a knife).
- Braise the potatoes at a medium heat on the stove, mixing them with a fork every so often, for up to 15 minutes.
- Then, take the roasted chicken out, and replace it in the oven with the potatoes.
- Leave the potatoes in the oven to cook for up to 30 minutes or until they are crispy and golden.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove them from the oven and put the chicken back inside for a few minutes so you can serve both together while they are nice and hot.
- E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy!
How to serve Oven-baked chicken with Potatoes
For an easy and satisfying meal, try serving up Oven-baked chicken and potatoes. To really savour the flavours, keep the presentation simple by adding a piece or two of hot roasted chicken and a generous serving of crispy potatoes to a plate. Ditch the utensils and embrace the finger-licking goodness of the juicy chicken, and savor the crispy exterior of the potatoes. Lastly, it’s the perfect meal for a relaxed weekend lunch or dinner with friends and family.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate