- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Beginner
PUTTANESCA SAUCE AND PASTA PUTTANESCA
Puttanesca sauce is a game changer from Naples, Italy. If you think don’t like anchovies, think AGAIN! Smother your pasta in thick tomato sauce with a kick of salty anchovies and capers, throw some olives in the mix and add fresh parsley for the ultimate puttanesca flavour explosion.
300g – 10.6oz Spaghetti (use a dry, long pasta) OR Penne
6x Anchovies in olive oil
2x Tablespoons of Capers under salt
2 garlic cloves
Kalamata olives (Or Gaeta olives if you can get them!)
1 tin peeled tomatoes (or a generous amount of juicy cherry tomatoes)
Bunch fresh parsley
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Medium size bowl
Large pot for cooking pasta
Large fry pan
- Puttanesca sauce is very flavoursome and salty so start by washing the capers under water to remove the salt.
- Put the water on to boil (before you start making the puttanesca pasta) so that you cook your pasta at the same time as you make your sauce.
- Next put a fry pan on your stove at a medium heat and add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Once the oil has started to warm up add your anchovies (approx. 2-3 per person) and melt them into the oil by moving them around with a spatula.
- Leave these for around a minute as they will start to shrink and infuse the oil with the flavours.
- Next add the garlic (either finely chopped or pressed) and olives, and mix this through.
- When you add the olives, gently squeeze them with your hands, before adding them to the pan. Continue to mix all of the Puttanesca pasta ingredients together.
- Now add a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the bowl of peeled tomatoes, along with freshly chopped parsley and mix it well before squashing it all down using a potato masher!
- Mix this until you get a much smoother consistency, leaving the puttanesca sauce ingredients to lightly simmer.
- Pour in the tomato mixture and let this simmer for a few minutes, stirring it every so often.
- Once the pasta is ready, strain it, and add it to the pan.
- Toss the pan with the puttanesca pasta so all of the ingredients dance together.
- Remove the pan from the stove.
HOW TO SERVE
Serve up a single portion of puttanesca pasta on a flat plate and enjoy nice and hot! Make sure once you have served it up on a plate, you use a spoon to scoop up some extra capers and olives from the puttanesca sauce and add it to each portion. Sprinkle some freshly chopped parsley on top. It will be full of flavour with an added kick, so enjoy every mouthful.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
If you love Puttanesca Pasta you will definitely LOVE this Pasta recipes too:
- CACIO E PEPE Pasta (Click here to get the recipe)
- ARRABBIATA PASTA (Click here to get the recipe)
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate
View this post on Instagram
BEST ITALIAN EXPERIENCE OF YOUR LIFE Ladies & Gentlemen we are taking bookings for our #ItalyUnexploredTours 2019 and 2020…2019 is almost sold out and we are sooo excited about it. #Nonna and the rest of the family are looking forward to welcome you into the #Famiglia BOOK YOUR SPOT NOW -> www.vincenzosplate.com/italian-tour