- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
MODERN SPAGHETTI CARBONARA
Modern spaghetti carbonara is a twist on the classic and while it is a little different from the original, the most important rule remains, IT IS MADE WITH EGGS AND ABSOLUTELY NO CREAM!
This favourite pasta dish of mine combines egg yolk with crispy guanciale, salty pecorino cheese and pepper to create a super creamy version of the classic recipe.
Is it better than the original? I’ll let you be the judge this time.
½ tablespook rock salt
300g/10 oz Spaghetti (or Spaghettoni/Rigatoni/Mezze Maniche)
210g/5.3 oz Guanciale (cut into small strips)
6 tablespoons pecorino cheese
3 egg yolks (only)
Large pot for cooking pasta
Large fry pan
2 x small mixing bowls
- Modern Spaghetti carbonara has a couple of small twists, but the first step remains, boil the water for your pasta in a large pot. Once it boils, add ½ tablespoon rock salt.
- Cook pasta according to the packet instructions but allow one minute less cooking time – this will keep it al dente and allow you to cook it more in the pan.
- Slice the guanciale into small strips so that there is fat at the top and bottom with the meat in the middle.
- Put the large fry pan on the stove at a low to medium heat. For the modern spaghetti carbonara recipe to be just right, add guanciale into the pan and cook very slowly and it will create its own delicious oil.
- Let the guanciale simmer and crisp up on the outside while staying softer in the middle.
- Get 2 small mixing bowls and separate the yolk from the egg white. Leave the bowl with the egg white to the side and add 6 tablespoons of pecorino cheese, my favourite ingredient for the modern spaghetti carbonara.
- Mix the egg yolk and pecorino cheese really well using a spatula until you get a thick paste.
- Once the pasta is ready, collect a mug/cup full of pasta water – at this point it is full of starch!
- Strain the pasta and put it in the pan with the guanciale on a low heat and quickly add half of the cup full of pasta water and keep stirring it through well using tongs. The water will start to evaporate.
- Once there is little to no water left, add another small amount of pasta water and turn the heat off. Add the pecorino/egg cream and mix it through really well until you get a creamy consistency.
- Add a very generous amount of freshly ground pepper and mix the modern spaghetti carbonara once again before you serve.
HOW TO SERVE
Serve up your portions of modern spaghetti carbonara on individual flat plates, adding freshly cracked pepper over the top and devour it right away.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
These are 2 other ways of making Carbonara:
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate