- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
HOW TO MAKE CREPES
Thin and light, this delicious crepe recipe is so versatile it will make your next savoury or sweet dish an absolute treat.
Watch the video below where Nonna Igea shows you how to make crepes at home the easy way.
- 3 X large fresh eggs
- 3 table spoon of sifted flour (you may need to add more as you go so keep some extra flour handy)
- A pinch of table salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 egg shells filled with water
- 1 x small-medium deep fry pan
- 1 x whisk
- Using one egg, crack open the top only so that just a small part of the egg shell breaks.
- Pour the egg into the mixing bowl and put the larger piece of the egg shell to the side to use later on.
- Crack open the other eggs as you normally would and add them to the bowl.
- Using your whisk, best the eggs as much as you possibly can, for at least 5 minutes.
- You should notice small bubbles form on top of the eggs.
- Get the egg shell which you put aside earlier, and wash it out.
- Fill the egg shell with water and add this to your eggs. Repeat 4 times.
- Mix your eggs once again.
- Add a generous pinch of table salt.
- Mix once again for another 3 minutes!
- Add a portion of the flour and mix well.
- You will need to judge the texture as it needs to be nice and smooth without being runny. It has to have an element of density to it.
- The amount of flour you need will be based on the size of the egg you use and also the freshness as in Italy, I used to use farm fresh eggs and they were huge!
- Using a large deep spoon, scoop up the mixture and pour it back in, to see if you are happy with the result.
- Now, get your saucepan and place it on the stove top at a medium heat.
- Pour some extra virgin olive oil into the pan and spread it around evenly.
- Let the oil heat up and then roll your saucepan so that the oil covers the base and the edges and remove any excess oil.
- Using a paper towel remove any remaining excess, making sure you leave just a small amount of the oil lining the pan.
- You will see some small bubbles on the bottom of the pan and this will help stop your crepe from sticking to the bottom!
- Put the paper towel to the side as you can use it later.
- Using the deep scoop, fill it up with the crepe mix around half way and hold it in your hand.
- Using your other hand, pick up your saucepan by its handle and pour the mixture while helping it to spread around the pan by rolling it around in a circular motion on an angle.
- Do not pour the mixture into the middle of the pan as it will make your crepe too thick.
- Wait at least 10 -15 seconds and using a fork, check the sides of the crepe at the top to see whether it has begun to cook through.
- If it has, peel back one corner of the crepe and then keep peeling using your hand and flip the crepe over.
- This now needs to cook on the other side for at least 15-20 seconds.
- Your first one will be a test and if it is cooked through, repeat this procedure leaving the crepe in the pan for the same amount of time.
- The cooking time will always depend on how hot your pan is.
- If it is cooking too fast, turn down the heat slightly for a better result.
How to Serve:
- Your crepes can be used to make Cannelloni, Nonna’s Lasagna or even baked crepe dishes with vegetables and sauces of your choice!
- They are very versatile and once you understand the quantity you need, you can then make a decision on how many eggs to use.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
Use these beautiful crepes to make Nonna’s Lasagna Recipe:
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
View this post on Instagram
BEST ITALIAN EXPERIENCE OF YOUR LIFE Ladies & Gentlemen we are taking bookings for our #ItalyUnexploredTours 2019 and 2020…2019 is almost sold out and we are sooo excited about it. #Nonna and the rest of the family are looking forward to welcome you into the #Famiglia BOOK YOUR SPOT NOW -> www.vincenzosplate.com/italian-tour