ZUCCHINI CREPES RECIPE
Crispy and golden Zucchini Crepes filled with cheese and bechamel sauce. H-E-A-V-E-N!
Watch video recipe:
3 x medium sized zucchini (chopped into cubes)
2 x cloves of garlic
2 x pinches of salt
Extra virgin olive oil
Provolone cheese (cut into small cubes)
Vincenzo’s Plate Bechamel Sauce
Vincenzo’s Plate Crepes (2 per person is recommended serving size)
Large deep fry pan
Rectangular Bessemer/No stick Baking tray
STEP ONE: PREPARE THE CREPES & BECHAMEL SAUCE
Head to my “VINCENZO’S BASICS” section on the website and prepare these two very important ingredients:
CREPES & BECHAMEL SAUCE
Once these are ready, put them to the side and you can prepare your filling.
STEP TWO: THE FILLING!
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees.
2. Place the chopped zucchini in your fry pan and fill it with water until they are just covered.
3. Put the pan on the stove at a medium heat and drop in both garlic cloves (peeled).
4. Once the water evaporates, add 2 tablespoons of oil and mix well with a wooden spoon.
STEP THREE: PUTTING IT TOGETHER
1. Get a nice sized baking tray and place one of your crepes flat in the centre.
2. Add a small portion of the zucchini to the middle of the crepe, place a small handful off provolone cheese cubes and some grated parmesan cheese.
3. Scoop up a tablespoon of béchamel sauce and cover the filling.
4. Fold the left and right side of the crepe into the centre so it is closed, then the top and the bottom. While still holding these down, gently turn the filled crepe over and spread a thin layer of béchamel sauce on top using the back of a tablespoon.
5. Repeat this as many times as you like, putting the filled crepes one next to the other in rows in the baking tray.
6. Before placing the tray in the oven, grate some more parmesan on top (to your liking)
7. Place the tray in the oven at 160 degrees for approx. 3 minutes (or slightly longer if you prefer them a little crispier and slightly golden.
HOW TO SERVE:
1. Remove the zucchini filled crepes from the oven and using a spatula lift them out of the tray and on to individual plates.
2. Place two zucchini crepes on each plate leaving a thin gap between them.
3. Get a spoon full of sautéed zucchini and place it through the middle in the gap, filling it in and binding the two together.
4. If you are a cheese lover like me, you can add EVEN MORE parmesan cheese on top of the zucchini crepes.
5. Finish this zucchini crepes recipe with a fresh basil leaf in the centre.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!