Sea and Mountains Pasta
Sea and mountains pasta, also known as Pasta Mare e Monti, brings together the best of two worlds together in one delicious dish. The mushrooms from the mountains pair perfectly with vongole (clams) and king prawns from the ocean. This dish is truly an Italian delight with a delicate white wine sauce and calamarata pasta that fortifies the dish with extra volume!
10 Large king prawns
250g/9oz mushrooms (mix of porcini and other mushrooms)
500g/18oz vongole clams
250g/9oz halved cherry tomatoes
A Handful of chopped parsley
2 cloves garlic (1 broken in half, 1 whole)
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 standard glass of white wine (any white wine will do)
Calamarata Pasta (you can also use penne, linguine, or anything you like!)
Salt and pepper
2 large sauté pans/skillets
Large Serving bowl
- Place 4 tbsp EVOO in a large sauté pan or skillet along then add garlic halves and clams (vongole) over medium-high heat.
- Add in a sprinkle of parsley and ½ of the white wine. Gently toss the pan to mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the clams cook until they are open. This should take about 5-10 min.
- While clams cook, get a new pan, place it on the stove at a medium-high heat and add 4 tbsp EVOO and one crushed garlic clove.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: Using a garlic crusher is a super-easy way to crush the garlic. It is also great for bringing all the delicious flavors and aromas out of the garlic.
- Cook the crushed garlic for approx 20 seconds. Then add in mushrooms and a generous sprinkle of parsley.
- Cook mushrooms for 10 minutes and toss them occasionally.
- Take the lid off the pan once the clams have opened and sprinkle some more parsley along with the rest of the white wine.
- Continue to cook clams with the lid off for 5 more minutes – This will make the perfect sauce for the sea and mountains pasta.
- Next, take a spoon and carefully remove the meat from inside each clam, discarding the shells. The shells are very hot, so be careful not to get burned!
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: Removing the shells is an important step. Personally, picking through shells ruins the culinary experience for me. I don’t want to be worrying about what I put in my mouth.
- Remove the garlic halves from the pan with the clams. Then set the pan aside to rest.
- Return to the mushroom pan after 10 minutes have passed. Add the halved cherry tomatoes and a sprinkle of parsley.
- Season mushrooms and tomatoes with a pinch of salt then pepper and stir.
- Cook this mixture for 5 minutes, tossing occasionally.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: As you cook the cherry tomatoes, they release delicious juices. When this is mixed with the seafood, the simplicity and flavor are amazing.
- While tomatoes and mushrooms cook, bring a large pot full of water to a boil and add 1 tbsp rock salt to it.
- Add the pasta and cook according to the package.
- While the pasta boils, gently push down on the cherry tomatoes with a spatula to help them release their juices.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: Pushing down on the tomatoes helps their juices mingle with the mushrooms. This also allows the tomato skin to come off.
- After 5 minutes of cooking tomatoes, add king prawns to the pan and stir. At this point you can even replace the prawns with calamari or any other seafood you desire.
- Dip a mug into the pasta water and add half of the mug into the pan with the mushroom, tomato, and prawn pan. Stir everything together to combine the flavors.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: The pasta water will help combine all the ingredients and release the tomato juices. It also helps the ingredients to not burn.
- After 3-4 minutes, the prawns will be fully cooked.
- While they are simmering gently, drain the pasta and add it to the pan which was set aside with the clams. Place the pan back on the stove and toss to incorporate the flavors.
- Combine the pasta and clam mixture with the prawn and mushrooms then stir.
- Add in the other half of the mug of pasta water, sprinkle a little bit of parsley and toss to combine.
How to Serve:
Finally, it is time to serve your sea and mountains pasta! The best way to serve this dish is family-style – put it in a big bowl right in the middle of the table. Make sure to add all the sauce from the bottom of the pan to each serving! Sprinkle some parsley on top to finish and enjoy!
The vongole and porcini mushrooms will stick inside the calamarata pasta and play perfectly with the clams. This is a delicate and authentic dish everyone will enjoy. Let me know what seafood you add to yours!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate….Enjoy!
Here are 2 more Pasta recipes you MUST try:
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate