- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
How to Make WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH
Whole Wheat pizza dough is an alternative to traditional pizza and it has the most surprisingly incredible crust! Easy to digest and filled with fibre the rustic nature of the dough and careful cooking time keep it perfectly crisp and golden.
Try this whole wheat pizza recipe if you’re looking for something different to make mouths water but be lighter on the belly!
This is the second instalment in my pizza masterclass featuring flour technician Enrico Sgarbossa.
WHOLEMEAL PIZZA RECIPE – How to Make Whole Wheat Pizza Dough from Scratch
1kg/8 cups Le 5 Stagioni Mora Whole Wheat Flour
700ml/ 3 cups water (room temperature)
4g/0.15g fresh yeast
25g/4 teaspoons salt
1 x cup semolina (optional)
Large mixing bowl
Table or bench space
OPTIONAL: Gloves! This can be made using gloves as the dough can be quite sticky!
STEP ONE: HOW TO MAKE THE SOURDOUGH
- To make whole wheat pizza dough, you start with the sourdough component.
- Pour the Mora flour into a large mixing bowl, break up the yeast and drop it in.
- Put on a pair of gloves and mix 500ml of the water into the flour. As you mix it with your hands, it will become darker in colour and you will start to see grains.
- Once combined, cover this with plastic wrap, and let it rest for 10hr.
- Once the sourdough is ready, it will be fluffy and have bubbles.
STEP TWO: MAKING THE WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH
- For the next step in making the whole wheat pizza dough, add 500g of flour and 3g of yeast, to the (now rested) sourdough, with your hands.
- Next, incorporate half of the remaining water(100ml) and start mixing it through so it combines.
- When most of the flour is mixed in, add 25g salt, the rest of the water, then mix once again.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: Don’t knead the dough too much! Once you have seen it is combined well, let it rest for a few minutes to create the gluten.
- Sprinkle some flour on your bench, take the dough from the bowl and knead it by rolling it back and forth on your bench over the flour.
- Once it is smooth, shape the dough into a ball, put it in a bowl and cover it before leaving it to rest for 20-30 minutes.
STEP THREE: MAKING THE PIZZA BALLS
- Sprinkle flour on the bench, put the whole wheat pizza dough on top. Break a piece off and weigh it until it is 270g/9.5oz.
- Make a ball with the dough by shaping it in your hand, passing it from one to another, folding in under with your fingers then repeating this step.
- Once you have done this a few times, squeeze the bottom together then roll it on your palm to create a ball shape.
- Leave the whole wheat pizza dough balls to rest for 5hr – 6hr.
- 1kg of flour should make 7 pizza balls.
STEP FOUR: HOW TO COOK THE PIZZA
- Sprinkle semolina on your bench, then gently place the dough on top and stretch out the pizza making sure to keep a crust all the way around.
- Now shape the pizza using both your hands and twisting them in an almost-circular motion.
- Once you have created a base, add tomato pulp and put it in the oven at 360ׄ°C/680°F for a few minutes.
- After 1.5 minutes, turn the pizza 180 DEGREES, put it back in and finish cooking.
- Top the pizza with fresh Fior di latte mozzarella along with your favourite toppings and serve.
HOW TO SERVE:
For our version of whole wheat pizza, Enrico added a basil emulsion and garnished the pizza with rocket/arugula leaves in the middle. There are so many varieties of toppings you can use on your pizza though so choose your favourite and devour…the crispness and texture will leave you craving more!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
Another great Pizza Recipe you must learn is NEAPOLITAN PIZZA.
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate