- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Beginner
TOMATO SAUCE FOR PIZZA
Tomato sauce for pizza couldn’t be simpler – but the few steps required to get it right are all a MUST! Combine quality Italian peeled tomatoes with fresh basil, a touch of salt and a final drizzle of olive oil and make sure you do not cook it! Join me along with Napoletano pizza chef Lucio to find out the secrets to making a flavoursome and bold tomato sauce for pizza. Have you been doing it right?
2.5kg Italian peeled tomato (san Marzano)
Handful of fresh basil leaves
Drizzle extra virgin olive oil
Large mixing bowl
Your hands (Or a vegetable mill if preferred)
- Tomato pizza sauce does not need a blender – so don’t be tempted! Start by filling a mixing bowl with your desired quantity of San Marzano tomatoes.
- Crush the tomatoes with your hands creating a thick, coarse sauce full of thick tomato pieces.
- Add salt and continue mixing with your hands by placing your open hand into the tomatoes and then bringing it into a fist once your hand is in the bowl.
- Repeat this process and turn the bowl around to make sure you mix all of the tomatoes well.
- Add a handful of fresh basil leaves in your pizza sauce and keep mixing.
- Finally, add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and mix it through too.
- That’s it, your pizza stomato sauce is ready!
IMPORTANT TIPS FROM LUCIO
- Do not use a blender! Your hands are the best utensil for crushing the totatoes.
- Do not cook your sauce before putting it on a pizza.
- Tomato sauce for pizza is best when made the day prior to using it.
- A good quality Italian peeled tomato is an absolute MUST!
HOW TO SERVE:
Try to prepare the tomato sauce for pizza the day before you need it so that the beautiful fresh basil infuses into the tomato creating the perfect flavour combination.
Use this as the base of your favourite pizza or even focaccia toppings.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
These are some Pizza recipes you must try at home:
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate