- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
Tomato and Basil Pasta Recipe
Create the colours of Italy on a plate with this vegetarian tomato and basil pasta recipe. Move over tomato sauce, this recipe uses fresh ripe tomatoes ONLY and of course, divine aromatic basil!
Watch the video recipe:
5 x fresh ripe tomatoes
500g Spinach Tagliatelle
Mixed dry herbs
¼ onion (chopped and diced)
Extra virgin olive oil
3 x pinches of rock salt
1 x 5L pot
1 x large deep pan
1 x wooden spoon
1 x pasta strainer
1. Add 4-5L of water to a large pot and place it on the stove to boil.
2. Place the deep pan on to the stove at a medium heat and pour.
3. Line the deep pan with extra virgin olive oil, and add the diced onions, mixing them with a wooden spoon until they become slightly golden brown.
4. Cut out the top part of the tomato by making a cut with a knife, then rotating the tomato with the knife still inside.
5. Cut the tomatoes into slices, place them in the saucepan with the onion and stir well.
6. Chop up the fresh basil on a cutting board with a knife, or, if you don’t mind bigger pieces, just break the leaves apart with your hands.
7. Add a sprinkle of rock salt, another of dried mixed herbs and finally, the beautiful smelling fresh basil.
8. Mix this together well and the tomatoes will start to create a beautiful juice. If you would like more liquid, add half a glass of water from the boiling pot.
9. Let this simmer on a medium-low heat for at least 10 minutes.
10. Once the water boils, add a generous amount of rock salt and the tagliatelle pasta. You should cook the pasta according to the cooking time on the packet as it always depends on the brand, and this will be your best guide.
11. Once the pasta is cooked, strain all of the water out and add it to the pan with all of your delicious sauce
12. Gently mix the ingredients through using a wooden spoon, and even a set of tongs, and if you can, try and flip some of the pasta in the pan, helping to mix everything together really well.
HOW TO SERVE:
13. Using the tongs, get a portion of the pasta, including some of the yummy tomato skin and place it on a flat plate.
14. Sprinkle or grate some fresh parmigiano reggiano cheese over the top of the pasta and add some fresh basil leaves to the top.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!