- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
GRILLED SIRLOIN STEAK
Tender sirloin steak grilled on charcoal, smothered in a creamy olive and mushroom sauce served with crunchy char-grilled asparagus.
Watch video recipe:
5 x cup mushrooms
16 x asparagus stalks (4 per serve)
4 x 250g sirloin steaks
1 x clove of garlic
A handful of chopped parsley
½ glass of milk*
7 x pitted black olives
Black pepper (or peppercorn’s)
1 x thin slice of butter*
Extra virgin olive oil
*You can use full cream or light milk and butter, it is up to you. I used light in my recipe because it is not so rich and heavy and it still makes the sauce yummy and creamy.
Small-medium size non-stick pan
1 x charcoal bbq (You can also use a skillet on a stove top or a traditional BBQ, but I recommend charcoal!)
Set of tongs
1 x sharp thin knife
Small chopping boards for serving
TIP: If you choose to grill your steak on a charcoal grill then watch my video for some great tips from BBQ expert Nick Angelucci of BBQ Aroma. BBQ Aroma
TO PREPARE YOUR MEAT
1. Watch my video for great tips on heating up a charcoal BBQ and how to know when it is just the right temperature for cooking.
2. Prepare your meat 24 hr earlier by sprinkling coarse salt on to both sides. This can even be done up to an hour before but for best results try to do it the day before.
3. Meat should be at room temperature for best results.
THE SAUCE & ASPARAGUS:
1. Cut each mushroom in half, then in half the other way, and then into smaller pieces.
2. Slice the clove of garlic thinly and then chop it up into small pieces.
3. Cut the pitted olives in half, and then again and into small pieces too.
4. Put the non-stick pan onto the stove at a medium heat and add 3-4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
5. Add the garlic and sauté until this is brown. It should take around 3 or 4 minutes.
6. Add the mushrooms to the pan and leave them to cook for around 5 minutes.
7. Cut the ends of the asparagus off because this part is very chewy and not good to eat.
8. Make sure the grill is not too hot and place the asparagus, one at a time, on top. Leave this for around 7-8 minutes, or until it is cooked and still crunchy. Turn them over to cook on the other side.
9. Add the black olives to the mushrooms and sprinkle half of the chopped parsley over the top.
10. Stir the sauce and add salt and pepper to your desired taste.
11. After 1½ minutes, add ½ cup of milk. Stir this around and it will start to infuse with all the flavours in the pan and become brown.
12. Check on the asparagus which should begin to look a bit chargrilled and brown in some spots. Once it is, remove the asparagus from the grill and put it to the side to rest.
13. Take the pan with the sauce off the stove and leave it for later.
TIP: You can also add peppercorns to the sauce but they are a bit strong so it just depends if you like the big flavour of pepper or not.
COOKING THE SIRLOIN STEAK:
1. When you are happy with the heat of the grill, you can place each piece of sirloin teak on top one at a time.
2. These will start to cook nicely and the fat on the sides will enhance the natural flavours. If you are not cooking on a charcoal BBQ, you might need to add some oil.
3. Turn each steak over when it is cooked the way you like it.
5. Once the grilled sirloin steak is ready, remove it from the grill and let it rest.
HOW TO SERVE:
1. Put the pan with the sauce back on the stove at a high heat and add a piece of butter. Let it melt and make the sauce creamy while stirring gently.
2. Add the asparagus carefully to the sauce and toss them around lightly to absorb all the flavours.
3. Remove the asparagus only from the sauce and place four stalks at a time onto a small chopping board.
4. Put the freshly grilled sirloin steak on the other side and pour some sauce on top adding some of the mushrooms and olives on top.
5. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top of the asparagus only.
6. Sprinkle the rest of the parsley over the dish letting some fall onto the chopping board for better presentation.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!