- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
Semolina Pasta Dough
Semolina pasta dough is your answer to making dry pasta at home! With just two ingredients, create your own pasta shapes and leave them in the pantry for when you want to cook up a meal. No need to stock up on store-bought packets when you can make your own all-natural, semolina pasta dough.
Watch Semolina Pasta Dough video recipe:
300ml/1.26 cups warm water
500g/17.63oz semolina flour
Butter knife (if making orrecchiete)
- Semolina pasta dough has 2 ingredients, so start with great quality semolina.
- Pour 500g/17.63oz semolina on a wooden bench, create a well, add water, a little bit at a time and mix with the semolina pinching the sides in, then mix it through, creating a paste-like consistency.
- Repeat this until the semolina pasta dough has completely absorbed the water.
- Start to knead the dough to bring it altogether and help improve the semolina pasta dough consistency.
- When kneading, press using the palm of your hand, toward the front, fold back then repeat this motion.
- Add more water if it feels too dry and keep kneading.
- If it feels sticky, add another sprinkle of semolina flour and knead through.
- Let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- TO MAKE ORRECCHIETE:
- Cut a piece of the semolina pasta dough and roll it into a snake like shape.
- Cut this into small pillows, then using a butter knife, press down on it and gently roll it forward.
- Shape it around your finger pressing in the middle so it becomes wider.
- This will create the ear like pasta shape, known as orrecchiete!
- TO MAKE CAVATELLI:
- Follow step 1 & 2 of how to make orrecchiete.
- Don’t peel it off and press in with your finger, just leave it how it is.
- This semolina pasta dough can be used to make pasta to eat right away, or, leave it out for 48-72hr on a pizza tray or drying rack before you store it in your pantry.
HOW TO SERVE:
Depending on the pasta shape you make, visit https://www.vincenzosplate.com/recipe-type/pasta/ and choose a recipe! Choices for sauces to accompany your pasta are endless so try one of mine, or let me know your favourite. Just remember semolina is hard durum wheat, so cooking time is longer than usual and lengthens the thicker your pasta shape is.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
Make these Pasta shapes like Nonna:
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate