- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
PUMPKIN ARANCINI RECIPE
Pumpkin Arancini are delicious stuffed rice balls combining pumpkin and pancetta risotto with the principles of crisp and flavoursome arancini. Is your mouth watering yet? You can apply the steps of this recipe to any leftover risotto and I just know you will be amazed with the results.
Watch video recipe:
Pumpkin Arancini Recipe | Pumpkin Rice Balls | Italian Food Recipes
- Vincenzo’s Plate Pumpkin & Pancetta Risotto (preferably prepared the day before)
- 3 eggs, cracked into a bowl
- Fresh breadcrumbs
- Fresh block of provolone cheese, cut into cubes
- Fresh mozzarella (or Fior di Latte) NOT store bought shredded
- Bowl of water
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 x medium size non-stick frypan
- Deep fryer or 1 x medium pot for frying
- 1 x whisk or fork
- Flat plate
- Paper toweling
- Beat the eggs well in a bowl.
- Moisten your hands with water and pick up a handful of risotto. Flatten it into the palm of one hand, curving it slightly.
- Put some cheese into the centre, both provolone and mozzarella, pressing it down a little.
- Moisten your hand again using the bowl of water and add more risotto on top, covering the cheese and make the mix into a ball.
- Cup your hands around it making it into a ball and moving it around to make sure it is well rounded and that the ingredients in the middle are well covered.
- Pour a generous amount of vegetable oil into a pot or deep fryer and put it on the stove at a medium heat.
- Dip the pumpkin arancini into the egg making sure it is really well coated before dropping it into the breadcrumbs and rolling it around to completely cover it again.
- Place it on a flat plate with paper towelling at the bottom so the excess crumbs fall off.
- Repeat 2-6 unti you have used up all of your leftover risotto.
- You can put the pumpkin arancini balls into the oil when it reaches a temperature of between 130-150 degrees celsius.
- Fry 1-3 pumpkin arancini at a time (depending on the size of your pot) and they should sizzle as they cook. You should turn them slighty while they are frying to make sure they are cooking right through and the heat is distributed evenly. (This will also help the cheese to melt…mmmm)
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: You can make the Pumpkin Rice balls as small or big as you like..I always make them big because I like to eat a lot.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: Depending on how many pumpkin arancini you make, you might need to refill the egg and breadcrumbs a few times, making sure they don’t get lumpy.
HOW TO SERVE:
- Make sure you cook the pumpkin arancini just as you are ready to serve them as they are best enjoyed hot with the mozzarella melted right through.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
Join my Culinary Tour “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before. The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. Visit this Italian Tour link for more details.