- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
This Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe is a twist on the traditional potato bake recipe.
This dish mixes sweet and regular potatoes which are layered with fresh Italian mortadella and melted cheese.
Watch video recipe:
This Cheesy Potato Bake Recipe doesn’t take long to make but will help you turn a simple dish into something simply fabulous!
9 slices of singles cheese (this is the cost effective option but feel free to use your favourite melting cheese such as Provolone)
50g butter (optional)
4 large slices of Italian style mortadella
Fresh rosemary or Mixed herbs
Two pinches of table salt or special seasoning for potatoes
1 medium size sweet potato
Approx 9 baby potatoes (depending on the size)
Extra virgin olive oil
1 x large mixing bowl
1 x sharp knife
1 x deep pyrex or non-stick medium size oval/oblong baking dish
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Thinly and carefully slice the potatoes and place them into the large mixing ball.
3. Pour a generous amount of olive oil over the potatoes and mix them so that the oil covers the potatoes.
4. Sprinkle fresh rosemary, mixed dried herbs and table salt over the potatoes and continue to mix until the majority of the potatoes have some colour on them.
5. Take a small cube of butter and rub it lightly over the base of the dish and around all the edges. This will help to prevent the bake from sticking to the oven dish.
6. Now, start to make the first layer of the bake using one strip of white potato and another of sweet potato to add to the presentation of your dish.
7. Make sure you layer the potato slices nice and tightly together so there are few or no gaps!
8. Then, pour a small amount of extra virgin olive oil over the layer and sprinkle a touch more herbs.
9. Add a slice of mortadella over the first layer and another so that the potatoes are fully covered.
10. Place enough slices of cheese over the mortadella to cover this layer but try to leave a gap around the edges of the bake.
11. Repeat with another layer of potatoes, mortadella and cheese remembering to add a small amount of extra virgin olive oil and dried herbs.
12. Then, add a final layer of potato and make sure the corners are filled with small pieces.
13. Drizzle a final amount of oil and some mixed dried herbs over the top layer and then push a sharp knife down making up to six slits in the bake.
14. Place several small cubes of butter over the top of the holes.
15. Place the dish uncovered on the oven for approx. 50 minutes or until it starts to brown.
16. Once ready, remove the dish from the oven and leave it to cool for up to 6 minutes.
HOW TO SERVE
Slice the potato bake into even squares and serve with a side of salad.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!