- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
FENNEL AND ORANGE SALAD
This is a refreshing Fennel and Orange Salad with Gorgonzola infused with chunks of citrus and splashes of sweet of balsamic. This is the perfect starter or side dish to a meat or seafood meal.
Watch video recipe:
INGREDIENTS for 4 people:
Washed Rocket Salad
1 x orange(peeled and chopped into small triangles or cubes)
70g gorgonzola (diced)
1 x medium sized fennel
A handful of Californian walnuts (chopped)
A sprinkle of parmesan
2 pinches of table salt
Balsamic vinegar (pour desired amount into a glass)
3 x tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 x large salad bowl
1 x medium sized knife
1 x medium sized glass
1 x set of tongs (or your hands if you prefer!)
1 x large round white flat serving plate
1. Wash the fennel thoroughly and slice off all the green stalks.
2. Slice off the base of the fennel as it is too hard to include.
3. Peel off several layers of the fennel until you have your desired amount.
4. Lay down each slice and cut them into strips and in half (if it is a small fennel, you may only need to cut it into strips).
5. Put the fennel into a large salad bowl and add the rocket.
6. Add the chopped oranges and walnuts.
7. Now, add 3 x tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to the glass of balsamic vinegar and mix it really well with a spoon.
8. Pour the vinegar and oil over the top of your salad and add half of the diced cubes of gorgonzola.
9. Mix the salad with your hands or a set of tongs being careful not to squash the cheese.
10. Add a sprinkle of grated parmesan if you so wish.
HOW TO SERVE:
1. Using your hands, place a small bunch of your salad into your palm.
2. Cusp the salad and squeeze it just a little bit so that you make it into a small ball.
3. Place this small mountain onto the centre of a plate and add some of the left over gorgonzola to the top.
4. Using a small spoon, pour some extra balsamic vinegar and spread it lightly over the top of the salad and onto parts of the plate to add more colour.
Squeeze some balsamic glaze over the top of your fennel and orange salad and plate for added richness and presentation.
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!