- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
EGG PASTA DOUGH – Homemade Pasta Video
Egg pasta dough is one of the simplest ingredients to make but the dishes you choose to cook with it are infinite! In Italy, it has been said that there are over 400 different pasta shapes, so just imagine the endless options and flavours. This is my Nonna’s original egg pasta dough recipe and can be easily recreated with a rolling pin or pasta machine. Follow the steps and become a pasta master in no time!
2 organic eggs
200g/7oz plain flour
Rolling pin OR pasta machine
- Egg pasta dough starts with good quality flour. Measure up to 100g/3.5oz per person and include one egg each.
- Create a mound of flour on your bench, adding some extra to the side to use as you go.
- Crack the eggs into the well and whisk using a fork or your hands.
- Slowly drop in the flour from the sides of the well, mixing it through and being careful not to let any of the egg escape.
- Once the egg is all mixed in with the flour, you can use a fork to drag any excess flour from your board back into the dough before starting with your hands.
- Press down and forward with the palm of your hands, then fold back in and repeat.
- Knead the egg pasta dough for around 10 minutes or until it smooths out and softens in consistency.
- Cover it tightly with cling wrap and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- If you are finding it is too dry and not coming together well, wet your hands slightly and continue to knead. Avoid adding extra water.
- After your egg pasta dough has rested for 20 minutes, cut a nice thick piece, press down with your hands slightly flattening it.
VINCENZO’S PLATE TIP: Make sure you cover the leftover part of your egg pasta dough with a bowl to keep the air out so it doesn’t dry up.
- Now, sprinkle flour on top, take your rolling pin, and roll it out first forward, and then back.
- Turn the dough around, rolling out the thicker parts to make it much more even and smooth.
- You can roll out lasagne sheets and cut them to size using this method, or fold the pasta in half several times and then using a sharp knife cut the strands of pasta to your chosen thickness.
ROLLING THE PASTA USING A PASTA MACHINE:
- Take a piece of your egg pasta dough, and sprinkle flour on it.
- Once you have assembled and secured the pasta machine, sprinkle some flour on top of it and put it on its widest setting.
- Press down on the pasta dough before passing it through the machine on its side – the pasta should be wide, not thin and long.
- Once the egg pasta dough has come through, fold it over and pass it through again, then one more time without folding.
- Move on to the second setting, and continue until you reach the desired consistency, which all depends on the pasta shape you want to make!
- Once you have chosen your shape, add some more flour to the dough and the machine and pass it through. Try not to use a sheet that is too long but instead cut it in half if you need to.
- Create portions or put it on a tray and in the fridge or freezer (if you’re not using it right away) and make sure there is enough flour between each strand so it doesn’t stick together.
HOW TO SERVE:
Depending on the homemade pasta shape you make, visit https://www.vincenzosplate.com/recipe-type/pasta/ and choose a recipe to cook up and impress your family with luscious, silky, fresh pasta!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
These are some yummy sauces to serve with this pasta:
Join my private exclusive Italian Tours “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate