- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Expert
CREAMY LASAGNA RECIPE
This Creamy Lasagna Recipe takes the traditional Lasagna recipe and turns it WHITE! It is packed with cheese, vegetables, beef mince, and my bechamel sauce
Watch video recipe:
500g Lasagna sheets
TIP:Lasagne sheets should be good quality and I prefer the ones you use that you don’t need to pre-cook because you can put them straight into the oven. Of course fresh lasagne sheets would be even better!
400g beef mince
150g diced provolone cheese
Half an onion (chopped into small pieces)
1 x large broccoli (or 2 small) cut into small pieces
2 x large zucchini diced
A handful of basil leaves
A handful of parsley
3 pinches of table salt
2 x pinches of dried mixed herbs
Extra virgin olive oil
2 ½ L water
1 x large deep pan
1 x rectangular foil tray or pyrex/Bessemer tray
1 x large pot
1 x wooden spoon
1 x fork
1 x potato masher
1. Add 2 ½ -3L of water to the large pot and put it on the stove at medium heart to boil.
2. Place the deep pan on the stove also at a medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and the chopped onions
3. Once the onions are slightly brown, add the mince, spreading it out with a fork.
4. Mix the beef and onions using a wooden spoon until the mince begins to brown. Don’t overcook this because it will finish cooking once it is in the lasagna and in the oven.
5. Turn the heat off and put the pan to the side.
6. Add one punch (or 3 x pinches!) to the water once it boils. Then add the broccoli and zucchini.
7. Leave the vegetables to cook for around 5-7 minutes (or until they are cooked and no longer hard)
8. While you are waiting pour yourself a glass of wine and preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
9. After the vegetables have been cooking for 7 minutes, strain them to get rid of all the water.
10. Add the broccoli and zucchini to the pan and put it back on the stove again at a medium heat.
11. Use a fork to squash the mixture so that the vegetables break down as much as possible. If you are left with some bigger pieces of broccoli that are hard to break, use a potato masher to squash them.
12. Add 2 x pinches of mixed herbs, a pinch of salt, chopped parsley and basil and stir the mixture well using a wooden spoon
13. Leave this to simmer for a few minutes.
14. Get the tray you are baking your lasagna in and line it with butter. Make sure you get into the corners of the tray so that none of your lasagna sticks to the bottom or the sides.
15. Place a single layer of sheets at the bottom, breaking them carefully into smaller pieces if they don’t fit perfectly – just be careful not to crack them because then the lasagna will fall apart.
16. The number of sheets you use depends on the size of your tray.
17. Using a wooden spoon, scoop up some of the mixture and put it on top of the sheets. This is your first layer. Cover the whole thing but be careful not to put too little or too much!
18. Add lots of cubes of provolone cheese to the top of the lasagna and grate a generous amount of parmesan to the top.
19. Using a spoon, scoop up the béchamel sauce and cover the whole layet. I think it’s easier to spread it out using the bottom of the spoon. Remember that this will spread once it starts to cook so don’t make it too thick.
20. Create another layer on top starting with the lasagna sheets. Push down on them – but not too hard! – to create some room for the rest of the ingredients.
21. Add the beef with the broccoli and zucchini and repeat the process, adding provolone cheese, parmesan, bechamel sauce and finally a layer of the pasta sheets.
22. On top of this last layer, add just a small about of the mince and vegetables and spread them out.
23. Add lots of provolone cheese so it melts on top of the lasagna and of course parmesan, which at this point, is not an ingredient, it is a MUST!
24. Add a few small cubes of butter to the top which will help the creamy lasagna cook and crisp up a bit more.
25. Now, the most exciting part!! Cover the tray using alfoil and put the creamy lasagna bianca into the oven! It needs to cook for around 30 minutes altogether.
26. After it has been in the oven for 20 minutes, remove the foil carefully and let it cook for another 10 minutes uncovered so it becomes yummy and crispy on top.
TIP! If you are using fresh lasagna pasta sheets, your cooking time may be a little bit less.
If you want a vegetarian option you can still make this dish, just don’t add the mince!
HOW TO SERVE:
1. Get a flat white plate and carefully slice the creamy lasagna down the middle and divide it into squares. Lift each piece out of the tray using something like a spade and help it slide off with a long knife.
2. Of course if you are crazy about parmesan cheese, you can grate even more on the creamy lasagna!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!