LASAGNA RECIPE | Timballo Teramano
No one does it quite like Nonna. This antique lasagna recipe is the ultimate pasta dish with a twist and it will change your life! Enjoyed by my family for generations, it is created with an almost infinite number of hand-made crepes and filled with mince, cheese, freshly simmered tomato sauce…and a little more cheese. There is only one rule when making this stupendous family recipe: Add as many layers as you can!
This lasagna recipe is made with lots of love so follow Nonna’s instructions and play a part in the rich Italian tradition of making lasagne for your next special occasion, or just because!
Ingredients: (For 6 pax)
30-35 fresh crepes
3 large mozzarella
200g parmigiano reggiano
600g mixed pork & veal mince
½ onion (chopped)
Extra virgin olive oil
2-4 fresh basil leaves
Pinch of salt
1L fresh tomato passata
1 x egg for the lasagna filling
Medium size saucepan
Medium size fry pan
1. First, follow my recipe: How to make crepes to make your deliciously light crepes which will form the layers of your lasagne recipe.
2. Dice up 3 large balls of mozzarella into cubes and put them to the side.
3. Put the saucepan on a medium heat and once it warms, add 3 spoons of extra virgin olive oil and the chopped onion. Let this simmer for a few minutes, then add the tomato passata.
4. Stir the sauce using a wooden spoon and leave to cook for approx. half and hour.
5. Place a medium size fry pan on medium heat and add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
6. Once this has begun to warm up, add in the mincemeat, breaking it down with a fork.
7. Sprinkle a few pinches of salt into the mincemeat and keep breaking it up. Let this cook for a few minutes or until brown.
Vincenzo’s Plate Tip: Don’t cook the meat for too long or it will dry out. Remember, it will have another chance to cook through in the oven!
8. Line the baking tray with butter using a single cube to spread it all over. This will prevent the lasagna from sticking to the tray when it is cooking.
9. In a separate bowl, crack an egg and whisk well. Then, add 2 x pinches of salt and 50ml of milk. Mix once again.
10. Once the sauce and mince have each started to cool, you can commence assembling the lasagna.
11. Before you start assembling the lasagna, pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees celcius.
How to Assemble the Lasagna Recipe:
1. Line the bottom of the baking tray carefully with your freshly made crepes. Then, line the sides of the tray with another set of crepes, making half cover the side of the tray, and the other half should then fold over the edge.
2. Add as many crepes as you need to ensure there are no spaces uncovered!
3. Sprinkle lots of cubes of mozzarella onto the bottom of the baking tray, then add a few large spoonful’s of tomato sauce.
Nonna’s Tip: Be careful not to use too much sauce as it will make the lasagna recipe very soggy!
4. Using a spoon, add some mincemeat to this layer, sporadically – it doesn’t have to be too much.
5. Next, add a generous amount of grated parmigiano cheese …and keep adding!
6. Dip a crepe into your egg milk mix that was prepared earlier and then let the excess drain off.
7. Place this crepe on top of the first layer, then dip another crepe into the mix and use it to create your first layer.
8. Repeat steps 3-7 until all your crepes are finished (or your lasagna is so tall it is the height of the tray!)
12. On every second layer, add a few small cubes of butter as this will help to keep the ingredients moist once the lasagna recipe is cooking in the oven, and it also adds extra flavour!
13. Once you have reached the final layer, fold the crepes that were over the edge, back on top of the lasagna, covering it up nice and tightly.
14. Using a large spoon, drizzle extra tomato sauce on top and spread it thinly – don’t pour it on as it will make the lasagna soft and wet – and add a few extra pieces of mozzarella cheese on top.
15. Make up to 6 slits through the lasagna using a sharp knife and pour a small amount of the egg/milk mix into each one. This helps the lasagna recipe to cook through really well.
16. Cook the lasagna in the oven at 180 degrees celcius for approx. 1hr.
How to Serve:
Let it rest for just a minute or two, and then cut up as many slices as you like to share with family, friends, and by now, your own HUNGRY belly!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo’s Plate…Enjoy!
Join my Culinary Tour “Italy Unexplored Tour” and experience the Real Italy like you have never seen before.
The tour is exclusive to only 10 passionate foodies and it’s very unique. (Click here to get more details)
Tempted? Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe